Board logo

Duratec
flak monkey - 23/2/09 at 01:06 PM

After the breakers on ebay cocking up big time, I am still looking for a reasonably priced 2.0 duratec....

If you spot one, let me know.

At this rate I think I would be better off buying a whole mondeo and breaking it FWIW!

David

stevec - 23/2/09 at 01:09 PM

Did you contact DIYER on here David?
I think he has a "as new" one.
Steve

bilbo - 23/2/09 at 01:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
At this rate I think I would be better off buying a whole mondeo and breaking it FWIW!

This is often the cheapest way to do it, particually when you can sell on the other parts you remove that you don't need - Only trouble is it's a PITA and gets the neighbours complaining about all the scrap lying around on your drive

flak monkey - 23/2/09 at 03:50 PM

Thanks Steve, I have U2U'd him to see if he still has it. if not, I will keep an eye out on ebay for a local one which i can collect myself. Having assessed what one weighs now I know that 2 of us can easily lift one into the back of a car so I can collect no bother (I can manhandle one with all the ancilliaries attached myself anyway).

Thats my only issue with breaking one, I dont have anywhere to do it!

Apparently the lack of good 2.0's on the secondhand market is due to them having weak big ends (about 4 breakers have told me this now) but I will replace the bearings anyway as a matter of course.

Cheers,
David

stevec - 23/2/09 at 04:33 PM

David, I will phone Simon later and check for you.
I am not 100% sure but bearings may not be available from Ford, they service exchange short engines for these because of the way they are assembled, thats how it was a couple of years ago anyway. But it may have changed now.
Steve

flak monkey - 23/2/09 at 04:45 PM

Thanks Steve

You can buy big end bearings from burton power at £54 a set or £63 for HD ones all made by Cosworth.

Cheers,
David

stevebubs - 23/2/09 at 05:01 PM

Worth trying somewhere like this..

http://www.enginesandgearboxes.co.uk/

??

stevec - 23/2/09 at 06:08 PM

Simon has one, I have asked him to contact you
Steve

flak monkey - 23/2/09 at 06:18 PM

Thanks Steve, you are a star!

diyer - 23/2/09 at 07:01 PM

David,
You have U2U

Simon

flak monkey - 23/2/09 at 07:34 PM

All sorted hopefully

Just need to get my money back from the people that sold me the wrong one now....

Thanks chaps

David