Board logo

myford laythe
davy - 1/4/09 at 11:22 PM

anyone got a super seven myford lathe for sale or know where to look

hughpinder - 2/4/09 at 07:30 AM

You can find them on ebay if you know what you're looking at - definately need to see it, and preferable run some tests(or get someone else to do them) to check condition.
I have had good service from gandmtools.co.uk who have several in stock. Myford are very expensive, but good.
Regards
Hugh

designer - 2/4/09 at 07:44 AM

Myford are an excellent brand, and my dad, a lifetime live stream modeller, has used them for years, but only for model making. They are best on smallish work and softer materials.

If you are a beginner, it would be best to go for a larger, more robust, machine. Colchester student, etc.

And they would, almost certainly, be cheaper

Phil.J - 2/4/09 at 10:51 AM

I tend to agree with Designer, The Myford is ok for model makers but is way too small for most car building applications.
The Colchester Student is a much better option if you can pick one up in good condition.

[Edited on 2/4/09 by Phil.J]

mangogrooveworkshop - 2/4/09 at 11:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Phil.J
I tend to agree with Designer, The Myford is ok for model makers but is way too small for most car building applications.
The Colchester Student is a much better option if you can pick one up in good condition.

[Edited on 2/4/09 by Phil.J]

Well you better tell my Myford that cause we have two of the buggers and we have made parts for more cars than we care to count.........never had a problem

We mill drill and turn with very good results............

David Jenkins - 2/4/09 at 11:35 AM

Most of the parts I've made for the car using my Colchester Student could have been made on a Myford... or even on my little old Zyto 3.375" lathe. I could easily spin a brake drum or flywheel in the Student if I wished, though.

However, second-hand industrial/school workshop lathes are MUCH cheaper - I paid £200 for my Student. Many are 3-phase, so there's extra expense to consider if you don't have access to a suitable power source. I bought a phase converter for around £200 (they're more like £300 now) but you could just replace the motor for a 1-phase version. There are some limitations doing this (1-phase motors are bigger for the same power, the switchgear will have to be modified a bit, and they don't like to be switched on and off too often as the starter windings can overheat). It's a relatively cheap option though, especially if you can accept a slightly lower power output from a smaller motor.

Make sure that you get a good selection of accessories included, as these can be very expensive in 'industrial grade'.

One caution - old industrial kit is BIG and HEAVY - factor in the cost of shipping the beast around as they can be awkward to move (my Student is 750kg and top-heavy when on the move).

jimmyjimbob - 3/4/09 at 06:02 AM

I have a Myford Super Seven lathe that I am wanting to sell.

It comes with loads of extras including 3 jaw and four jaw chucks, too much to list.
Below is a photo of the lathe. It is now stored in my garage. If I sell it you would need to arrange pick up. I am in Scotland. Let me know if you are interested and we can talk and arrange something.

Jimmy Rescued attachment Copy of original 1 wee.jpg
Rescued attachment Copy of original 1 wee.jpg

kipper - 4/4/09 at 08:57 AM

I have a myford ml7 lathe in very good condition, 4 jaw chuck, and some tooling ect. Rescued attachment Picture 081.jpg
Rescued attachment Picture 081.jpg