Board logo

WTD: Chassis Baffles
scootz - 2/3/11 at 01:12 PM

... cash waiting!

TimC - 2/3/11 at 01:18 PM

A what? Sounds like a left-handed screwdriver to me.

scootz - 2/3/11 at 01:23 PM

I've removed all my panels to paint the chassis so it's now full of rivet-ends.

I reckon if I go around a corner at anything more than 30mph, then the car might tip due to all the rivet-ends rushing to one side.

Chassis-baffles should sort it out...

dan_g8 - 2/3/11 at 01:27 PM

what about using wax-oil inside the chassis rails? once dry it should keep the rivet ends still.

scootz - 2/3/11 at 01:34 PM

I would go for the waxoyl approach Dan, but that's heavy... the chassis baffles come in Unobtainium, so they actually make the car lighter.

mads - 2/3/11 at 01:40 PM

surely all you need to do is create some larger holes in the chassis of your car and the next time you go round a bend, they will all just fall out?! plus, making those holes will definitely make your car lighter.. simples!

scootz - 2/3/11 at 01:49 PM

I like your thinking Mads, but swiss-cheese style holes may affect the air flow and their presence may attract insects and small rodents to nest within (again... more weight) so are no use to me.

Nope... it's chassis baffles for this job!

r1_pete - 2/3/11 at 01:50 PM

How about filling the chassis with expanding builders foam??

deezee - 2/3/11 at 01:54 PM

Have you tried heating your chassis to 700 degrees, turning the aluminium rivets into liquid.... then you can pour them out? Seems like the most practical solution.

scudderfish - 2/3/11 at 01:55 PM

Slice the tops off all the tubes, fish out the ends, weld tops back on.

nick205 - 2/3/11 at 02:10 PM

I'd have thought a chap of your calibre would own an ally magnet Scootz...?

Just open one of the rivet holes and apply your ally magnet then draw all said rivet heads out in a dasiy chain.

nick205 - 2/3/11 at 02:11 PM

Either that or sell the chassis and get a new one from Procomp

procomp - 2/3/11 at 02:37 PM

Hi

You can use the rivets floating around as a performance meter. If you can't hear when cornering you ain't going fast enough.

Hole at one end of tube and remove em , then re weld it all back up. Ill sort it when i get the chassis down here if you like.

Cheers Matt

blakep82 - 2/3/11 at 03:02 PM

theres some ships bulkheads laying in fergusons shipyard in port glasgow, maybe that could work?

kipper - 2/3/11 at 03:19 PM

Just leave the holes and when the car is whizzing along some deft fingering should produce the flight of the bumble bee.
In bee sharp
Denis.

mad-butcher - 2/3/11 at 05:19 PM

I fitted some of those rivet things to the inside of my chassis, great way of keeping rust off the inside of the tubes caused by water ingress due to pin holes in the joints, problem is being softer than steel they eventualy wear away, if the price is right I may be willing to purchase yours

tony

blakep82 - 2/3/11 at 05:25 PM

just keep filling up the chassis with more rivet ends til theres no room to rattle about
or squirt some kind of glue in there and go for a good twisty drive to rattle them into the glue

scootz - 2/3/11 at 05:44 PM

Some excellent suggestions here! Our pool of chassis-engineering knowledge is deeper than the mariana trench!

scootz - 2/3/11 at 05:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
... sell the chassis and get a new one from Procomp

LOL... already been considered!

dave - 2/3/11 at 06:02 PM

Make a bigger hole at one end then soooook them ooooot with a vacuum.

ReMan - 2/3/11 at 08:25 PM

melt some solder and pour it into the tubes so it sticks em fast?

fazerruss - 2/3/11 at 09:29 PM

Ive got the solution- you need to get hold of some ali eating nanomites like the ones used against the G.I.JO squad. Just make sure you get the Ali-nanomites and not the Ferro-nanomites or you will have no chassis left. Also remember to deactivate them when finnished with the rivets or they may eat your wheels!

RoadkillUK - 2/3/11 at 09:35 PM

Drill holes at the bottom back of the tubes and accelerate until the rivets fall out. Oh, then weld 'em up.

scootz - 2/3/11 at 09:48 PM

I've just checked at my local motor factors... they only have the ferrous-eating nanomites

blakep82 - 2/3/11 at 09:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
I've just checked at my local motor factors... they only have the ferrous-eating nanomites

thats fine, get those, they'll eat the chassis away, all the rivet ends fall on the floor, then you put a new chassis around where they used to be, chassis will then be emty of rivet ends. easy

[Edited on 2/3/11 by blakep82]

fazerruss - 2/3/11 at 10:05 PM

Ok then try a bit of Alchemy. Somewhere on the tinterweb there must be the formula to turn ali into gold using one of those Hadron colliders ( they might have em at machine mart) so then there would be a decent amount of valuble jewellry created floating about in your chassis which you could then take to CASH FOR YOUR GOLD and make enough money to buy a new chassis.
Simples.

scootz - 2/3/11 at 10:07 PM

I bought one of those hadron-colliders a while back... turns out it had the wrong PCD, so sold it (and the swiss mountain it was attached to). Lost a bleedin fortune!

blakep82 - 2/3/11 at 10:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by fazerruss
Ok then try a bit of Alchemy. Somewhere on the tinterweb there must be the formula to turn ali into gold using one of those Hadron colliders ( they might have em at machine mart) so then there would be a decent amount of valuble jewellry created floating about in your chassis which you could then take to CASH FOR YOUR GOLD and make enough money to buy a new chassis.
Simples.

i had a pair of shoes, and every time i put my foot in, there was a coin in it (not the same one i might add) so thats a viable solution! somehow...

fazerruss - 2/3/11 at 10:10 PM

Just rememered. I think a clever chap named Tony Stark produced a home video of how to build your collider so you could save a few quid rather than buying a new one.