Board logo

Wanted (OT) Firewood
PSpirine - 30/11/11 at 07:14 PM

Anyone here somewhere in Gloucestershire or somewhere vaguely along the M40/M42/M6 corridor from roughly Banbury to Manchester have any firewood they want to get rid of? Hardwood/softwood as long as it burns I'm happy!

Long shot but thought I'd check before I go ordering a load.

BenB - 30/11/11 at 07:51 PM

We get stuff delivered at work by the pallet and doing up the house we've had stuff done by pallet. They burn quite nicely (obviously not the returnable ones ).
I think there's about £10's worth of kindling in a pallet and I get 'em free Quality.

A1 - 30/11/11 at 08:44 PM

if you see a poorly tree you could always chop it down...thats what I did when I was a lad.

macc man - 30/11/11 at 10:08 PM

I would ring round the local tree surgeons. Some are glad to get rid of wood they have felled. If you give some beer money they will drop a few tons to keep you going.

catman - 30/11/11 at 11:00 PM

i have a forestry company,(www.fullersforestry.co.uk) i would doubt that anyone would give timber away at the mo its like gold, if i could cut down ten times as much i could sell it all for firewood!

Ed

[Edited on 30/11/11 by catman]

Andi - 30/11/11 at 11:14 PM

Try your local council .... In Leicester up until 2 years ago you could get it for free, now there is a charge of £10 for a trailer load. Its green wood but cut into manageable chunks, but if its for a log burner you would need to cut and split, then store it for a couple of months. This sort of stuff mostly isnt advertised so you would need to ring up the parks and recreational services departments and ask to speak to the managers.

HTH
Andi

PSpirine - 30/11/11 at 11:22 PM

Thanks everyone, a few good leads I'll chase up!

As for tree surgeons.. tree surgeons are the ones selling half the firewood around here so I doubt they'll want to offer it gratis!

Cheers
Pavel