Board logo

r1 engine trouble
jlayton - 6/6/15 at 10:03 AM

hi could anyone recommend a engine builder around the west midlands area for a Yamaha r1 5pw engine. I turbo'd my car and was set up properly by bdq and been running great, until the other day it thorugh 1 of the half moon rocker cover rubbers open like a door and let some oil out. then after that its running on 3 cylinders and breathing really heavy through the crankcase breather my plugs are all dry so would it be possibly piston rings? or a burnt valve?

cheers

CosKev3 - 6/6/15 at 11:28 AM

Have you done slides mod you were asking about?

gaz_gaz - 6/6/15 at 11:43 AM

Speak to Andy at AB Performance.
He's just built a turbo blade motor for a customer!

jlayton - 6/6/15 at 11:51 AM

no didn't get chance to do the slide mod it wasn't essential anyhow how, i just wanted to see if I could get some more bhp out of it .
yeah I phoned ab performance but no answer will keep trying

thanks

TimC - 6/6/15 at 11:51 AM

Maybe try Race Techniques in Cheltenham.

I've not used them mind you.

Alternative a bit further away who I really rate is RK Performance in Whitecroft, Forest of Dean

mark chandler - 6/6/15 at 04:12 PM

That's a shame, a valve would not make it breath heavily so expect piston damage

Best check the ignition side of things incase you have to much advance

jlayton - 7/6/15 at 05:32 PM

Pulled the engine today and took head off melted the edges of 3 pistons but on the plus side the bores are in very good shape. Which is a bonus, I'm now going to go forged. Rods and pistons but do I go 9:1 or 10:1 compression?? Will run 9_10 psi max and will buy an ignition module and ape adjustable cam sprockets. Would that be reliabke. My fueling is powercomander 3 and rising rate fpr 1:1 and I'l add ignition module

roohunter - 28/6/15 at 05:22 PM

What boost where you running before it melted ?