Board logo

Robin Hood
andyps - 27/4/04 at 09:34 PM

The whole company!

There is a full page advert in Autocar magazine this week for Robin Hood. The whole company is for sale for £1.5m. Apparently the owner is 60 and wants to retire.

Maybe we should club together!

stephen_gusterson - 27/4/04 at 10:28 PM

its a misprint

I have $1.50 all on my own.

atb

steve

PS - seriously - just think how long it takes to get your money back before you make any clear profit.

A hoodie kit starts at what, 1300 quid?

Lets say 400 at most is profit.

thats 3,750 kits to sell!!!!!!!

thats gotta take some time......

[Edited on 27/4/04 by stephen_gusterson]

SparkyPups - 28/4/04 at 08:23 AM

Actually if you made an investment of that sort you would probably want an annual return of 10% so £150,000 a year.

So if you were making £400 nett on each kit you would need to sell some 375 each year, which is about there number of kits isn't it?

stephen_gusterson - 28/4/04 at 09:21 AM

so, what your basically saying, is that you should expect to take at least 10 years before you get ANYTHING at all back for your 1.5m quid?

And this is in a market where its totally saturated with people trying to sell their own 7 kit! Look at all the MK copyists emerging - and it can be argued that MK are a copyist themselves, as are RH.

If you bought bonds, or similar investments, you would get a 7% return, compounded each and every year over that 10 years.

And you wouldnt have to beother with the hassel of selling anything, attending shows, dealing with angry customers, etc.

at 7% you would get 100k a year doing nowt from just the interest on your 1.5m.

If I had the dosh, it would stay put!

atb

steve

[Edited on 28/4/04 by stephen_gusterson]

Robster - 28/4/04 at 04:08 PM

True Steve, but with bonds there is no chance to improve on that 7% (if you can get that).

Most businessmen (or women i guess!) would see the opportunity to invest £1.5m, improve the product & thus increase sales and/or profitability, make at least the £150k per year for a few years and then sell the company on again (or float it) for say £2m.

It's all about perceived value & opportunitiy to improve the business.

But I'm with you - if I had the £1.5m, there are certainly easier ways to make a decent return than by investing in a competitive market such as kit car "replica/copyist" manufacturing!!!

JoelP - 28/4/04 at 05:49 PM

if i had 1.5m id buy a shopping center or an industrial estate. or a hotel. muchos good easy money in that business!

200mph - 28/4/04 at 06:15 PM

nah, a carwash....

the one i worked at cost £300k all in, for land and equipment etc.

It did 280, 000 washed in 1st year, at an average of £4.13. Thats over 1.1 mil

Ok wages, overheads and consumables, but for a potential one man show, made 700k profit at least.

Thats what I would do if I ever won the lottery. Got it all planned.

now all I have to do is start playing the twatting game!

Mark

andyps - 28/4/04 at 08:30 PM

The advert says that the price includes 3 freehold factories of approx 40000 sq ft.

Turnover for year ended 03/03 was £1.17 million. Net profit £330,000 for that period. Actually a good return, and probably makes the price reasonable. If you have £1.5 million to start with!

Simon - 28/4/04 at 10:29 PM

If I had a million and a half lying around I think I'd be building meself a nice garage to play in (all day! )

Sod working for a living.

ATB

Simon