Board logo

40k locust
SCAR - 3/2/15 at 06:17 PM

lotus 7 locust stunning
Thought this was quite funny really. A locust worth 40k except for being falsely registered as an elan so only valued at 15k.
A bargain then
Probably out by a factor of 10

[Edited on 3/2/15 by SCAR]

CosKev3 - 3/2/15 at 06:26 PM

Oh dear, E-Bay never ceases to amaze!!!!

I was expecting to see somthing that looked like a grasshopper though........

[Edited on 3/2/15 by CosKev3]

steve m - 3/2/15 at 06:28 PM

40k, for a bit of plastic, and a wooden chassis ?

mm, don't think so

snapper - 3/2/15 at 06:35 PM

Is that Triumph or Cortina front suspension?

Ben_Copeland - 3/2/15 at 07:06 PM

That's down my way. I feel I should go have a chat!

wylliezx9r - 3/2/15 at 07:11 PM

Who valued that ? Arthur Daley ?

Slimy38 - 3/2/15 at 07:11 PM

Erm.... what?!!!

motorcycle_mayhem - 3/2/15 at 07:12 PM

Looks like Cortina to me, but the comparisons I have with that rotting in the garden aren't easy.

Very different body and chassis on that Elan, I guess that's why its such a (cue Ebay speak 'Bargin''

Surprised he hasn't indicated that it's only at the offered price until the Spring, then it'll be at a higher price for the summer.
No usual mention of 'awsum breaks', standard Elan I guess.

SCAR - 3/2/15 at 07:20 PM

So what do we think its real value is?
I'll start
up to 2.5k if registered properly
1.5k with wrong ID

scootz - 3/2/15 at 07:38 PM

I'd knock £500 off both your figures!

It must surely be a wind-up!? In 2007 the car was fully rebuilt using NON genuine parts.

lsdweb - 3/2/15 at 07:40 PM

Interesting to see what Elan it's registered as! Series 1 Elan V5s go for about 8k. So you could have a bonfire with the wood and be left with a crossflow and some bits!

gremlin1234 - 3/2/15 at 08:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lsdweb
Interesting to see what Elan it's registered as! Series 1 Elan V5s go for about 8k. So you could have a bonfire with the wood and be left with a crossflow and some bits!
Vehicle details found: NVV7

RED, 1968 LOTUS ELAN +2 COUPE

myke pocock - 3/2/15 at 10:26 PM

If thats "stunning" I wonder what I could put in an ebay add for mine then?????

lsdweb - 3/2/15 at 10:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
quote:
Originally posted by lsdweb
Vehicle details found: NVV7

RED, 1968 LOTUS ELAN +2 COUPE

So it's even registered as a four seater!

motorcycle_mayhem - 4/2/15 at 10:44 AM

A 'Historic' too, saves on tax.

There should be a 'Hysterical' tax too, covering such vehicles as the one near to me here - it's a 1959 Series One Landrover (so no MoT either), that has somehow gained a Defender chassis with coils, power steering, etc., Defender bodywork, powered by TD5 engine. Again, he's de-'valued' the car by doing all this work.... :-)

Again - get hit, killed, injured by one of these things and I'm sure you'll test the elasticity of the insurance 'covering' it.

To realise the subject's full 'value' as an Elan, I guess the restoration costs would be prohibitive. I'm sure that the parts wouldn't be easy to find ether.

'Bargin!' Bye now price goes up for sumer.
Stunnin Spek
Awsum breaks
easy fix
scratch on door
600 hp easy

cliftyhanger - 4/2/15 at 11:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem
To realise the subject's full 'value' as an Elan, I guess the restoration costs would be prohibitive. I'm sure that the parts wouldn't be easy to find ether.
/quote]

A quick visit to a lotus owners club event could turn up a driveaway package that you just need to swap a few bits and bobs over....

That seems to be the way some of this stuff is going.

lsdweb - 4/2/15 at 11:32 AM

There appears to be a lot of log book swapping around - there are loads of Elan chassis, shells and piles of bits lying around just waiting for the right V5.

mookaloid - 4/2/15 at 05:14 PM

There's approximately 0% Elan in that.....

I would love to know what offers he's had

russbost - 4/2/15 at 07:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by snapper
Is that Triumph or Cortina front suspension?

Could be Viva? Whatever it is there is nothing about it quite as stunning as the price, or the idiocy to even think it could possibly be worth more than about 1/10 of that!

alfas - 4/2/15 at 10:59 PM

its cortina...typical locust....only a few ones had tubular wishbones...the rest usually came with cortina crossmember

its overpriced, its a ringer, with wrong ID...value: 1500-2500pound

Dopdog - 5/2/15 at 10:41 AM

You could buy it,insure it,then it could have a fire one day. Insurance pays out for a lotus élan

steve m - 5/2/15 at 10:49 AM

Is there a way of finding what the original elans no plate was, as I do hope it was not mu old one FTG xxxx

scootz - 5/2/15 at 12:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dopdog
You could buy it,insure it,then it could have a fire one day. Insurance pays out for a lotus élan

LOL... no car burns to the degree where the ashes of that could in any way be mistaken for a Lotus Elan!

theduck - 5/2/15 at 01:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem

Again - get hit, killed, injured by one of these things and I'm sure you'll test the elasticity of the insurance 'covering' it.

Thankfully if that were to happen the insurers are obliged to pay out third party costs, but will then seek reimbursement from the driver who was incorrectly insured.

kingster996 - 5/2/15 at 02:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by alfas
its overpriced, its a ringer, with wrong ID...value: 1500-2500pound

I can't see how a wooden ringer is worth even that much? Only value is the engine, running gear etc. Or a I missing something?

alfas - 5/2/15 at 06:57 PM

the car looks well built...so best would be buying a scruffy locust and use his identity...

theduck - 5/2/15 at 08:27 PM

quote:
the car looks well built...so best would be buying a scruffy locust and use his identity...

HOw is that any better?!? This needs an IVA, anything else is illegal.

alfas - 5/2/15 at 09:02 PM

quote:

it would be at least a ringer with a nearly correct identity.

yeah...IVA would be the most legal way....how much would it cost extra bringing the car to IVA spec? 1k?

SCAR - 6/2/15 at 08:58 AM

Surely it could be registered as a Dutton