Board logo

caterham for spares
ewanspence - 25/8/05 at 02:25 PM

Why do they want the winnig bidder to strip the car as they need to keep the chassis, is this so they can rebuild something else into a caterham? You can see another 7 type car in the background of 1 of the pics.

ebay link

[Edited on 25/8/05 by ewanspence]

Guinness - 25/8/05 at 02:37 PM

Nasty. It must have been some impact to have bent that steering wheel. Might keep my Sierra jobby post SVA after all!

I think the insurance company will have written it off as a total loss, and sold the car for parts only. The only way to ensure that it doesn't get re-built or re-registered is for the salvage firm to keep the chassis and then cut it up themselves.

Mike

ewanspence - 25/8/05 at 02:39 PM

that was what smoeone at work had thought. Would that also happen if it were an E-type Jag, whould it not be possible to buy it from a scrappy and rebuild/restore it if the insurance had written it off?

Coose - 25/8/05 at 02:40 PM

Crikey, that's taken a pummelling!!!

It's written off and the chassis will have to be destroyed yer see.... It's all part of the deal with the insurer when the salvage places buy wite-offs and they MUST prove it!

It's a shame when these things are rebuildable....

Coose - 25/8/05 at 02:41 PM

Doesn't matter what it is. It could be a Ferrari GTO - if the insurer says it's a write-off, it's a write-off!

andyps - 25/8/05 at 03:46 PM

It'll be a category B write-off. Sold for spare parts only and the chassis has to be destroyed. You would not be able to re-register it for road use anyway.

If it was a GTO it would always be worth more than the cost of a repair - an e-type may not be, but there would be a scrap one somewhere which would donate a chassis number.

mike-ktm - 25/8/05 at 04:28 PM

could buy this between a few of us and split the bits we want ?

Peteff - 25/8/05 at 05:45 PM

It would still bend in a crash like that one had. This place advertises a few breakers like this one and always sets the same terms. They must have a contract with a kit car insurance company, should be a good sideline for them. If anybody on here buys it I'll have the wheels and headlamps please .

Danozeman - 25/8/05 at 08:35 PM

This must be the other one in the background.

Ebay linky

ewanspence - 26/8/05 at 06:44 AM

An ideal mid engined donor.

ebay link