Board logo

Fuel caps
flak monkey - 17/2/06 at 10:21 PM

Spotted these on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mocal-Racing-fuel-Caps_W0QQitemZ4594298605QQcategoryZ100921QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They are the sort to mount inside the 'boot'. Non-locking obviously as they are just plain screw cap, but they should mount straight onto the top of the tank with a short piece of hose.

I *think* SVA would have no issue with them as it doesnt say that the cap has to lock anywhere in the manual.

David

bob - 17/2/06 at 10:33 PM

Yup straight through SVA no probs, but mine was only £10 from think automotive. Rescued attachment MK Indy build pics 027.jpg
Rescued attachment MK Indy build pics 027.jpg

JoelP - 17/2/06 at 10:34 PM

was yours in a locked boot bob? i was sure they needed to be locked one way or another.

bob - 17/2/06 at 10:37 PM

Yup it was locked although they fialed me on the radius of the locks but made me laugh when the examiner said remove them and put a self tapper in to secure the boot lid. "you can always put the locks back on after SVA " he said

flak monkey - 17/2/06 at 10:40 PM

In the SVA manual it simply says that the cap must be secure and not leak, it doesnt say it must lock. Not anywhere that I can see.

David

PS I cant see those caps on the thinkauto site...

iank - 17/2/06 at 10:51 PM

I think the confusion comes from using the word 'secure' (just looked 15.2.1.c). But just above it says fuel pipes must be secure, so I think it really does just mean fixed so it won't fall off.

Though if you don't have a locked cap you probably will end up regretting it at some point as the world if full of tw*ts who either steal a tank full, or add something like sugar

iank - 17/2/06 at 10:55 PM

PS Raldes has them here for about £10+VAT
http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=281_718

stevec - 17/2/06 at 11:06 PM

Ive done mine the same as Bob,
Like others have said the SVA word is "secure"
And I will dream up a secure cover for the boot top aswell.
Steve.

Humbug - 17/2/06 at 11:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by stevec
...Like others have said the SVA word is "secure"...

... though I have heard that some SVA testers insist it must be lockable

Messenjah - 18/2/06 at 10:24 AM

do those sdame sva inspectors say you have to padlock the fuel lines to the car ? as they have to be "secure" aswell

lol

wilkingj - 18/2/06 at 08:16 PM

only prob with those open type screw lid caps is that you may need a restrictor inside if you engine is unleaded fuel only.

Honest guv I have ROVER P5 heads fitted