Board logo

Help!!!
CraigJ - 3/2/09 at 06:14 PM

the top and bottom engine mounting bolts are stuck solid. there are no threads holding them just 20 years of crap. I have done the most obvious thing and hit them with a big hammer but it didnt even budge them. I have no soaked them in wd40 and going to leave them over night. Any advice how to get them out would be great.

omega0684 - 3/2/09 at 06:16 PM

soak them in vinegar, the acid will eat away all the crap!

Paul TigerB6 - 3/2/09 at 06:18 PM

Have you tried heat yet?? Try heating the metal of the engine block rather than the bolt before giving it a decent whack.

I guess on the bottom one, you could always try a spacer and then nut on the threads, and keep tightening it to try and pull it through

wrigglypig - 3/2/09 at 06:20 PM

Hi Craig, the method I have used with steel bolts stuck in Ali is to repeatedly use kettles of boiling water, you can also try repeated light taps ( and I mean taps ) on the end of the bolt as long as it is not held by the threads any longer. Let uss know how you get on
Kev

Mr Whippy - 3/2/09 at 06:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
soak them in vinegar, the acid will eat away all the crap!

agreed this would be the safest method, I'd buy a plastic container and sit the engine in it. Fill with cheap vinegar and leave for a few days

BenB - 3/2/09 at 06:31 PM

There are better penetrating oils than WD40 (bit general purpose in my book). Serial applications of that should work (the oil will soak into the crud).... Apply something like Plus Gas daily for a week then give it a wack....

CraigJ - 3/2/09 at 06:31 PM

didnt think of the vinegar, will give it a try.

tomgregory2000 - 3/2/09 at 06:33 PM

heat gets my vote, dig out the blowtorch it will work a treat

mark chandler - 3/2/09 at 06:47 PM

Definately heat, not the bolt but the ali lugs. No need to be afraid, its an engine block a blow torch will not damage anything.

carpmart - 3/2/09 at 07:19 PM

Another vote for heat! Will definately work!

zzr1100rick2 - 3/2/09 at 07:42 PM

Careful with the heat its an alloy bike engine isnt it ?

Daddylonglegs - 3/2/09 at 09:58 PM

Amen to the heat

But ditto for being careful with it

rusty nuts - 3/2/09 at 10:07 PM

I would be reluctant to use heat on an ally casting. IIRC Loctite do a penetrating fluid that freezes the part that it is sprayed on .Might be worth using it on the bolt? Hammering may well damage the casing, as a last resort it may be worth cutting off the exposed bolt and drilling the remains out, it would take longer but shouldn't damage anything other than the bolt.

carpmart - 4/2/09 at 07:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
I would be reluctant to use heat on an ally casting. IIRC Loctite do a penetrating fluid that freezes the part that it is sprayed on .Might be worth using it on the bolt? Hammering may well damage the casing, as a last resort it may be worth cutting off the exposed bolt and drilling the remains out, it would take longer but shouldn't damage anything other than the bolt.

Why would you be reluctant to use heat on an aluminum casing?

Peteff - 4/2/09 at 10:34 AM

Heat them up, get hold of the unthreaded part with the mole grips and try to turn them. That's what they do at the bike shop. Plumbing torch temperatures will not hurt the aluminium you're more likely to damage it hitting it with the hammer.