Board logo

Should I get the Dewalt or the Site drill?
carpmart - 14/12/09 at 06:23 PM

Guys

My heart says buy quality and 18v should give me a little more grunt

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/73596/Power-Tools/Cordless-Drills/Dewalt-DC100KA-GB-18V-Cordless-Combi-Drill;jsessionid=MKEV31AHU1KXKCSTHZOCFGA?ts=14575 #

My head says by the Site branded Makita and save some money

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/83288/Power-Tools/Cordless-Drills/Site-SMB600-14-4V-Cordless-Drill-Driver

or with 3 batteries

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/49414/Power-Tools/Cordless-Drills/Site-SMB601-14-4V-Cordless-Drill-Driver

What does the Locostbuilders 'crew' think?

Coopz - 14/12/09 at 06:30 PM

The Dewalt drill Is a really good drill I have one at work. But the few times i've used it on the kit car i found it quite heavy also its quite big to get in to tight spot. But on the plus side its more than powerful enough and drill through chassis with ease.

twybrow - 14/12/09 at 06:44 PM

Check out this thread...

For general home/car building use, I find my DeWalt 14.4v is plenty man enough. Horses for courses really!

Danozeman - 14/12/09 at 06:48 PM

id pay extra and get a branded one, you can get new batteries etc for them. Iv got a bosch one and its excellent. I dropped it out my loft hatch once nose down and left it outside in the rain one night by accident. Still works perfectly.,.

BnQ had a bosch one on offer for 50 quid recently with 2 batteries, not sure of the offer is still on.

LBMEFM - 14/12/09 at 07:40 PM

For what it's worth I am in the building trade and use my Ryobi drills every day cannot fault them

ChrisW - 14/12/09 at 07:45 PM

I bought that drill (DC725) when it was on offer last time at Screwfix about 8 months ago and it's been spot on. It struggled a bit when I tried to drill some 12mm holes in a brick wall to put up a TV aerial, but it managed it.

Highly recommended in my book.

Chris

tomblyth - 14/12/09 at 07:50 PM

makita or hitachi every time!
look at this site my company use it and there service is very good!
lnk

Confused but excited. - 14/12/09 at 07:56 PM

Makita are superb value for money and they last.
Not impressed with the 14.4v DeWalt though. My cheap Chinese cordless drives my son's new deWalt backwards.
Having said that the XRP2 is the absolute dogs.

Flick - 14/12/09 at 07:59 PM

If its just for occasional diy/kit building get the cheaper site drill and save your money.

If your going to spend £100 ish, keep looking. There are better drills for the money. Also consider length of guarantee.

Panasonic everytime for me...............

[Edited on 14/12/09 by Flick]

adam1985 - 14/12/09 at 08:31 PM

little bit more expensive but a far better drill here

makita

Makita 18v lithium ion 3.0 a/h battery compact, light, powerful and 20 min charge £160 i have this and use it everyday at work and is spot on

carpmart - 14/12/09 at 09:53 PM

Guys

Lots of useful replies but I'm almost more confused now!

I'm not going to use this for work so not required as a 'tool of the trade'!

The 'driver' behind this is that my daughter has just bought a house so its going to be pressed into service with putting up curtains, fixtures etc so light use really! My old drill is well passed it!

How does this impact the recommendations?

Danozeman - 14/12/09 at 10:15 PM

Alot of the cheaper ones are cheaper because the batteries arnt as good aswell.

indykid - 14/12/09 at 11:47 PM

even for light use, a decent drill is worthwhile.

i'd look at makita. had mine a year and a bit. i still think it's fantastic and still good as new. all batteries still working fine.
tom

twybrow - 17/12/09 at 12:35 PM

Make sure you get a combi drill, that does hammer action too. My DeWalt doesn't, but will still happily drill masonary, but I tend to reach for my corded hammer drill if I am doing a lot of masonary work.

JoelP - 18/12/09 at 08:34 PM

id suggest getting a cheap corded sds for drilling masonary, i have a £30 drill that has survived 2 years of daily trade use venting extractors and the like, beats the pants off ANY cordless drill, excluding the super expensive ones. Then your cordless only needs to do screws and drill wood. A cheap 18v with 3 batteries will be fine.