Board logo

what is MAG welding?
blakep82 - 28/1/10 at 12:00 AM

i know its metal active gas, but what does it actually mean? whats the real difference between it and MIG welding?

Peteff - 28/1/10 at 12:06 AM

Strictly speaking what we use is MAG welding using active gas, argon/co2. Read here for a bit of detail.

rost - 28/1/10 at 10:08 AM

Because of a heavier reaction you will get more penetration, but a less neat weld.
Its usually not one or the other, but a mix of two gasses, Argon and CO2. Argon being an inert gas and CO2 the reactive one.

[Edited on 28/1/10 by rost]

chrsgrain - 28/1/10 at 12:21 PM

Missspelt MIG??

I'll get my coat...

Chris

blakep82 - 28/1/10 at 12:30 PM

ah, so strictly speaking, MIG welding is only really MIG welding if we use pure argon (or helium) and if we use argon/co2 mix, or plain co2 then its MAG welding?

i always thought MAG was some completely different type. didn't know i'd been doing it all along lol

bodger - 28/1/10 at 01:21 PM

It's called something else again in the U.S.A., I've forgotten what.

cd.thomson - 28/1/10 at 01:26 PM

metal inert gas welding

metal active gas welding

dhutch - 28/1/10 at 02:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
ah, so strictly speaking, MIG welding is only really MIG welding if we use pure argon (or helium) and if we use argon/co2 mix, or plain co2 then its MAG welding?

Yep, basically.
- CO2 only is very common in places like china. As said, the weld is less good, but penetration/speed/powerconspt better so its cheaper if you have the skills to make it work well and of cause the gas is cheap too.

But as said, most shield gases are a argon/co2 mix.

Same with laser cutting, the only real difference between normal laser cutting and active cutting is the gas. Uncommon to see much active fusion cutting in job shops but it very common in industrys such as ship building due to the higher efficiency and cut speeds that can be use and they can tolerate the poor cut quality.

Daniel

RAYLEE29 - 28/1/10 at 02:44 PM

Hi, many years ago I did a short course on welding it was called m.a.g.s. and t.a.g.s.
the then lecturer informed us it was metalic arc gaseous shield and tugsten arc gaseous shield
of course he could have been wrong but he was teaching welding and it was a proper college course
but i agree there is also active gas and inert gas used in mig/mag but you must use an active gas for ferrous metals or you will get weld porostity and thats bad
this is why you shouldnt use pure argon for mild steel you need at least 5% co2 mixed in
argoshield and cougar are two types of argon/co2 mixes
pure co2 works well too
Ray

[Edited on 28/1/10 by RAYLEE29]

big_wasa - 28/1/10 at 05:21 PM

^^That's what I was tought aswell ^^

dhutch - 31/1/10 at 02:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
^^That's what I was tought aswell ^^

Ive also heard it called mags/tags but i dont think thats a commonly adopted term.
- Certainly i can find little about in the wed compaired to mig/mag and gmaw.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_metal_arc_welding

Daniel

Angel Acevedo - 1/2/10 at 12:34 AM

http://www.acronymfinder.com/Metal-Active-Gas-(welding)-(MAG).html