Board logo

Airless Spray Guns.
The Baron - 1/5/10 at 04:47 PM

Has anyone ever used one of those airless spray guns to spray cellulose paint.

I have damaged (but now repaired) my nose cone, but it needs a bit of paint. I do have some cellulose paint that was specifically mixed to match my gel coat.

Are they a reasonable finish (probably not as good as using a proper compressor) but I am happy to polish and cut back after spraying?

they seem quite cheap on ebay, as i dont want to spend a fortune to do a touch up.

Cheers,

B

StevieB - 1/5/10 at 04:52 PM

I tried one last week to spray thinned down emulsion onto my garage wall.

It was rubbish and is now in the bin. I had to thin down the paint so much to get it to work that it was like spraying milk, and it was a pretty poor spray pattern as well.

Mark Allanson - 1/5/10 at 06:45 PM

Ideal for creosote, and nothing else

britishtrident - 1/5/10 at 06:49 PM

Airless spray guns that work with a little electric pulse pump are worse than rubbish

Look at the turbine HVLP spray guns instead such as the Earlex Spray Stations you can get a super finish with these with little or no overspray. I have done tin top bumpers with a B&Q Performance power one (identical to the Sealey HVLP200) easy to get good coverage with very thin coats, no runs. However I wouldn't like to do a full respray on a tintop with mine it would take too long.

fazerruss - 1/5/10 at 08:41 PM

I got ione to spray the garden fence. It would have been quicker to take a mouthfull of paint and spit on the fence than use that pile of sh1te!

Ben_Copeland - 2/5/10 at 05:50 AM

We've got a proper one at work 3000psi jobby. Use it to spray primer coat spirit based stuff. Even that doesn't give a brilliant spray pattern. Go buy some rattle cans, you'll get better finish lol

MakeEverything - 2/5/10 at 07:54 AM

I painted the inside of my garage at the last house, and it was such hard work it would have been easier, cleaner and got a better finish with a roller.

For the workshop i built out of wood, i coated it with preserver using a weed sprayer and it worked great. Still messy though, and everything was brown at the end!!!