Board logo

Countersink Depth Control
w4lrus - 2/3/12 at 04:35 PM

Hopefully a quick question with a quick answer - is there an easy way to ensure that countersinks are a set depth, perhaps using a nylon/plastic collar? Any ideas where I can obtain such an item?

Thanks

HowardB - 2/3/12 at 04:50 PM

yes, I would have thought that for a pistol drill, something like the cap from a WD40 can stuck in place would suffice,... no doubt there are other methods,.. but I do mine by eye,...

rusty nuts - 2/3/12 at 08:06 PM

Some sort of collar if using a cordless drill or use a depth stop on a pillar drill

MikeR - 2/3/12 at 08:39 PM

Masking take on the drill bit - when it gets to touch the wood stop?

Proby - 2/3/12 at 08:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeR

+1

That's the way I do it too.

MikeR - 2/3/12 at 09:38 PM

ps I mean masking tape not take!

DIY Si - 3/3/12 at 01:36 PM

quote:

But does that work for a counter sunk bit? Must be a right PITA to get it level all the way round.

MikeRJ - 4/3/12 at 02:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
quote:

But does that work for a counter sunk bit? Must be a right PITA to get it level all the way round.

It would work ok if you are using the countersink bit in a pillar or bench drill. Getting a perfectly even countersink with a hand held drill is pretty tricky at the best of times.

MikeR - 4/3/12 at 03:44 PM

the other option is to get a drill with a collar mounted hand grip which has an integrated depth stop.

Doesn't guarentee you'll get it square but it will be to the same depth.

If you're really picky you could get one of these ....

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-drill-guide-prod22269/

or

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-drill-guide-kit-prod21306/

BenB - 4/3/12 at 05:05 PM

Easy. Rubber tube same I/D as the o/d of the CSK bit and a jubilee clip to hold it in place. You'ld need a CSK bit with a long body but most of the good / sharp ones have that.

jacko - 4/3/12 at 09:03 PM

jubilee a pice of wood [ lollipop stick ] to the side of the drill sticking out to the depth you need
Jacko