Board logo

Powder coat repair advice needed.
StevieB - 12/5/12 at 03:03 PM

Hi all.

Not strictly se7en related, but the priciples are the same.

I have a Triumph Tiger 955i which has a bit of a problem with the powder coating on the engine - it's peeling off rapidly and the alloy is furring up as well.

I started working on getting the loose stuff off with a wire brush put it keeps getting worse and worse - at this rate the engine will be down to the bare alloy in no time at all. I'm happy to pop the engine covers off and get them media blasted and powder coated (or maybe use paint to save the problem happening again in the future).

But the main block is a problem - I don't fancy breaking the engine down to get it all properly re-finished and was hoping to basically take off the big chunks and touch in with plastikote.

Does anyone have any recommendations or alternative techniques I could try before I get too far into the task.

A quick pic of the problem:

Cheers

Steve

norm007 - 12/5/12 at 03:17 PM

There is a firm on Sewards industrial estate at Wiggington that do powder coating.

Might be worth a ride down on bike and see what they say???

Never used em myself but know a couple o people that have had wheels done and are happy with results

[Edited on 12/5/2012 by norm007]

Peteff - 12/5/12 at 07:14 PM

Get them blasted off and etched and primed then do them satin black. Powder coat will only go again.