Board logo

Welder Problem
mikeb - 15/4/13 at 02:14 PM

I have a Boc Migmate 130, think its the pretty standard hobby mig with the min max 1 and 2 setting and wire feed dial.

It use to be a good welder producing nice welds but its slowly started playing up. I'd finished my chassis so only used it for the odd small job.

I thought it was a earth issue so put a new earth clamp and wire on it.
It no longer produces the nice frying bacon noise, if I can get a weld out of it at all, it seems to be creating a weld pool from the feed wire but not penertrating enough often ending up with a lump stuck to the tip. Most of the time now it pops and spits back at me, every now and again I'll get a good weld for 15 seconds but only on a good day!

the wire feed seems good, well its fine when I'm not actually welding.
I'm still wondering if its a powersupply/earth issue.

I've put new tips on (haven't changed the shroud) I did check inside for any loose connections etc. Can you get a live shround

Any thoughts,

r1_pete - 15/4/13 at 02:21 PM

Have you checked the wire liner, the standard nylon ones do degrade over time and cause the welding wire to drag.

Replacing it with a steel liner, often transforms the machine, and not expensive..

mikeb - 15/4/13 at 03:23 PM

the wire feed seems good and smooth

Slimy38 - 15/4/13 at 04:13 PM

This might seem a little off topic, but I took a look at steel liners after reading this, and a cost effective option seems to be curtain wire. Did I miss something in the translation, or is curtain wire a viable solution?

r1_pete - 15/4/13 at 04:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
This might seem a little off topic, but I took a look at steel liners after reading this, and a cost effective option seems to be curtain wire. Did I miss something in the translation, or is curtain wire a viable solution?

Yes I have read that too, never tried it, doubt I would to save a few ££, Id go with the purpose made thing.

theprisioner - 15/4/13 at 06:23 PM

Is it a gas or gas-less system you are using cos it sound like a gas problem to me. If I turn my gas off I get exactly the symptoms you describe.

Staple balls - 15/4/13 at 07:21 PM

I'm sure curtain wire would work, or bike brake outer, but saying that, I got a 3m liner off ebay for a couple of quid, took a little fettling to make it fit my machine, but utterly transformed it for next to no money.

LoMoss - 15/4/13 at 08:44 PM

Have you changed the tip. They fug up with dirt from the wire and welding?

HTH

Moss