Board logo

Drill bit sharpener
greggors84 - 7/2/05 at 09:44 PM

I have been looking at a drill bit sharpener in the screw fix catalogue. Its like a jig that fastens onto a 6" or 8" grinding wheel.

Are these easy to use, im guessing you just set the angle and line up the leading edge of the bit so it sharpens it.

Thanks

wilkingj - 7/2/05 at 10:34 PM

I have the Draper version of what you are describing, and have given up with it. Mine has too much play in it.

In the end, I got a Plasplugs (not sure if thst right) yellow box with leccy motor in it one of Ebay for £4, they retail at £29.99, I get on a lot better with this one.

Peteff - 7/2/05 at 10:38 PM

I picked one up from a flea market for 50p thinking it would be worth a try for that much. I use it on the side of the fine wheel and it's really good but I didn't get any destructions with it so I make it up as I go along. It does make a good job easy.

Mark Allanson - 7/2/05 at 10:39 PM

Just do it by hand, will take 30 mins of practice on old drills - skill for life

omega 24 v6 - 7/2/05 at 10:43 PM

One of the very first things i learned as an engineer sharpening drills by hand and your right it's a skill for life. Yeah a lifetime of sharpenning drills for everybody in the workshop that knows you can do it.

Hellfire - 7/2/05 at 11:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
Just do it by hand, will take 30 mins of practice on old drills - skill for life

Part of my apprenticeship!

greggors84 - 7/2/05 at 11:05 PM

Might give it a go by hand, you can never have enough skills in the workshop!

Chris_R - 8/2/05 at 12:15 AM

They're bollocks. Got the boss to buy one and followed the destructions to the letter. Now have many drill bits that drill holes much larger than they should be.

Surrey Dave - 8/2/05 at 08:13 AM

What about a description of how to sharpen drills by hand.

I can make a drilll work but not with the pukka angles..........

ReMan - 8/2/05 at 09:00 AM

Dead easy!
http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/readarticle.pl?dir=shop&file=articles_285.shtml

It takes a bit of practice, but the main thing is understanding what your trying to acheive, in particularly the clearance on the cutting edge and symmetry. Otherwise the other angles arn`t critical and can be varied to suit the job and the material.

[Edited on 8/2/05 by ReMan]

Simon - 8/2/05 at 11:36 PM

I use an angle gringer. Works a treat

ATB

Simon