Board logo

Cuts getting a bit uneven...
Damon Hill - 9/2/05 at 05:11 PM

I've been using a Clarke metal cutoff saw for about a week and a half now, and the cuts arn't quite as square as they were when I started. Admittedly I did try grinding a bit of edge against the side of the disc - are the blades really short-lived?

[Edited on 9/2/05 by Damon Hill]

phil m - 9/2/05 at 07:21 PM

There can be distortion if you pull down hard when cutting --have you tried lifting the pressure a little. I had a similar problem with my griner mounted on a stand. The blades do flex a little , hence the suggestion of taking more time and less pressure ????????????? hope this helps

phil

splitrivet - 9/2/05 at 09:46 PM

I check mine with a set square every 10 cuts or so in both planes,found this prevents cock ups.
The angle of dangle doofer aint worth the metal its made out of.
Those super thin wheels make for a better cut as well.
Cheers,
Bob

Peteff - 10/2/05 at 01:07 AM

Machine mart blades are scary. I had a couple given me for cutting some stuff for a mate. I only part used one then took it out as it was vibrating like mad and dusted something chronic. Screwfix are much better blades.

clbarclay - 10/2/05 at 06:57 PM

I've had similare troble with a draper cut off saw. The amount of play in the pivot is rediculos, I ended up used it to crudely cut the steel and finish it of with a grinder.
The blades also gave out after the had worn 1/4 to 1/2 an inch, when they stoped cutting properly, before disentergrating if persevered with.

The compond saws for wood and the like look a lot better, does anybody do a level similar for cutting steel.