Board logo

Coil spring compressors
ethomas - 23/10/05 at 10:43 PM

Hi,

I am now thinking about stripping the suspension in my kit car and fitting all the deflex bushes I got last week (as well as generally making sure things are ok). I will need a pair of spring compressors for this, and have found several on eBay for about £10 (eg this).< br />
Would this be up to the job? Alternatively is there a true locost approach which works jst as well?

Cheers,

Ed

Peteff - 23/10/05 at 11:33 PM

You don't need spring compressors if you aren't removing the springs. You can remove the strut or damper with them still under compression.

ethomas - 24/10/05 at 12:21 AM

I am going to be removng the wishbones, which according to Haynes (it is a Cortina front subframe) requires the springs removed,

mark chandler - 24/10/05 at 08:06 AM

Cortina springs in a standard subframe are under a lot of tension even on full droop. Get some decent ones or hire some if this is a once off.

Regards Mark

dave-69isit - 24/10/05 at 11:45 AM

mine only cost 16 quid for the pair from motor factors heavey duty made by drapper cheeper than hireing them

dave-69isit - 24/10/05 at 11:47 AM

you could borrow them if you are not to far away from brum,

ethomas - 24/10/05 at 04:09 PM

Thanks for the offer, I am unfortunately in Aberdeen

I think I will pop along to the local motor factors and see what they have on offer. I would rather buy than hire as I anticipate doing this again on other cars in the future.

Thanks for the help,

Ed