Board logo

Replacing wheel studs - how?
Chris.B - 24/9/06 at 02:54 PM

As per the title - I want to replace the front wheel studs with some 15mm longer. I've got westfield alloy hubs. How do you go about replacing studs?
Cheers
Chris

oliwb - 24/9/06 at 03:06 PM

I think if there Sierra ones you get a massive no. 1 tool and beat the hell out of them...think they're just a splined interference fit....Oli.

RazMan - 24/9/06 at 03:20 PM

My donor Sierra studs came out with a swift (and large) hammer while supporting the hub in a vice. They are interference fit splines and often take a bit of grunt to shift.

emsfactory - 24/9/06 at 03:29 PM

I pressed mine out. You can also use a vice. Put a socket on the head side of the stud so the stud can move into it.

Pdlewis - 24/9/06 at 03:34 PM

I did mine while on the car bit of WD40 and a big hammer!!

roadboy - 24/9/06 at 04:53 PM

Knock the old ones out with a big hammer & pull in the new ones with nuts fitted with spacer washers & lubricant
Chers
ian

Danozeman - 24/9/06 at 08:39 PM

Knock em out with a hammer and pull the new ones in with an old wheel nut and some washers.

Or the best way is to press them out and press the new ones in...

big_wasa - 24/9/06 at 09:17 PM

Beter than the big hammer is a Ball joint splitter. They just push out with no damage.

02GF74 - 26/9/06 at 12:35 PM

I wouldn't recommend using a vice to press thjem in as they may not go in square meaning you may not be able to get the wheel on (don't ask I how I know that) ... but if you can get a wheel on, use the wheel nuts to pull them trhough - it will straighten them out too,

Marcus - 26/9/06 at 02:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
I wouldn't recommend using a vice to press thjem in as they may not go in square meaning you may not be able to get the wheel on (don't ask I how I know that) ... but if you can get a wheel on, use the wheel nuts to pull them trhough - it will straighten them out too,

BUT use a steel wheel!!