Board logo

Special oxy torch
lexi - 1/11/06 at 10:39 AM

Does anyone have a link for a super efficient welding /cutting torch that that has neen marketed for a few years. It`s either Yank or Aussie and has been posted on here a few times.
Alex

timf - 1/11/06 at 10:50 AM

the henrob 2000 torch

lexi - 1/11/06 at 12:07 PM

Thanks mate!
Alex

Peteff - 1/11/06 at 01:16 PM

Get yourself a normal torch if you can already gas weld. I'll admit I've never seen one used but I have seen one in the flesh and they are heavy and look awkward compared to my little BOC torch.

Alan_Thomas - 1/11/06 at 02:03 PM

I have been gas welding for over 20 years and I gas welded all my Locost build.
The 'Henrob' torch makes claims that would never be allowed over here. (in the States you don't have to prove your claims!)

I am afraid that the quality of the welding has far more to do with who is holding the torch rather than what type of torch you are holding.

I don't like the 'pistol grip' type as, whilst it has attractions for welding flat on the bench it would be difficult to use in all the awkward positions and angles I seem to frequently need to weld in.
Very pricey too!
- Alan

lexi - 1/11/06 at 02:27 PM

Thanks for input guys. I can`t gas weld but have all the stuff to learn. I thought it looked a quality item and a mate could bring me one over from the states next month at dollar price. Is it not more economical and more flexible?
Alex

John Bonnett - 1/11/06 at 05:24 PM

I totally agree with what has been said about the Henrob torch. It is heavy and cumbersome as well as expensive. I bought a Sapphire light torch from BOC and it is absolutely excellent and very cheap compared with the Henrob. I use the torch in conjunction with two stage regulators for welding aluminium and it really is very good indeed. Another benefit is the back-up available on the doorstep from BOC. One thing I did buy from the States were a pair of TM2000 lenses for aluminium welding. They totally cut out the sodium flare so that you really can see what you are doing and believe me, that does help!!!

John

lexi - 1/11/06 at 10:02 PM

Aluminium welding???!!! John I can ruin that stuff with a pop rivet gun without resorting to welding it mate
Alex

caber - 1/11/06 at 10:19 PM

I vote for a saffire torch any time. You can start simple and add on a cutting attachment later. They are good and if you knacker them you get a service exchange one! In fact if you find a broken one you can service exchange that!

They are nicely balanced and when in good condition do not backfire like many other torches do.

Caber

lexi - 2/11/06 at 12:16 AM

Thanks to all. Hi Caber. I have a Saffire set
on which the knobs are rather stiff. The recon thing sounds good...at BOC?
Also have a nice jewellers type with five little nozzles..brand new.
Alex

[Edited on 2/11/06 by lexi]

johnjulie - 3/11/06 at 11:26 PM

The Murex type "O" set designed for lead work is excellent for welding small items.
Cheers John