Board logo

Trolley Jack mod to go under 7
Avoneer - 24/3/07 at 09:28 AM

After thinking about this for ages and struggling with my trolley jack on many occasions to get it under my Avon and the Bitsablade, I came up with this easy solution:

Chop off the old top cup thing:

Avoneer - 24/3/07 at 09:29 AM

And weld on a flat plate:

Avoneer - 24/3/07 at 09:30 AM

It will fit under anything now and has a better flat lifting base.

Just make sure the main arm won't hit the bottom of your plate before you cut off the old cup.

Pat...

[Edited on 24/3/07 by Avoneer]

Hellfire - 24/3/07 at 09:32 AM

Your innovative approach never fails to astound Pat... or are you bragging you have a welder?

We need to tyre kick and stuff... you settled in your new home yet? I'm frequently around the Dewsbury area....

Steve

britishtrident - 24/3/07 at 09:46 AM

Running the car on to a short plank of wood works for me.

ricklawn - 24/3/07 at 09:50 AM

for an easier solution leave 2 scaffold planks in place in garage, push or drive car on to planks, hense raisingcar 2 inch.
problem solved, also i cann't weld as in solution one

ricklawn - 24/3/07 at 09:51 AM

i realy must speed up on my typing

chris_harris_ - 24/3/07 at 10:05 AM

And if you get some rubber sheet and add stick that to the plate, you won't scratch your pride and joy and it won't slip either!!

Peteff - 24/3/07 at 10:34 AM

It fits under then and it's only held on with a split pin through the centre pin Rescued attachment oldtop.jpg
Rescued attachment oldtop.jpg

SeaBass - 24/3/07 at 11:27 AM

I modded my jack in exactly the same way... Best thing I've ever done - no pissing about with blocks of wood or scaffold poles. No moving the car.

Its fine as long as you remember what a jack is for lifting not supporting. Once I've got the height the axle stands go straight under. Even on something as light as the seven you can get some nice internal injuries if it falls on you.

RazMan - 24/3/07 at 11:49 AM

I did EXACTLY the same mod a few weeks back, including pop rivetting two layers of rubber mat on top to make it non-slip & non scratch.

Avoneer - 24/3/07 at 09:00 PM

Hi Steve,

Had a welder ages - not that I can weld though - barely get by!

Yep, settled in, until the extension starts in the month or two.

I'm in on Tuesday after about 4.15 if that's any good?

Pat...

JB - 25/3/07 at 08:01 AM

I had the same problem. So looked into buying a jack.

Sealey sell one 80mm to 795mm !! which was on offer last year at 50%. I bought one. The only problem its a big heavy thing but its great. The sort of thing you buy once and will last a life time. Theres no way I would have bought at full retail though.

HERE

Peteff - 25/3/07 at 12:16 PM

The bike shop was having a clearout last year and I got a 2 ton Bradbury jack off them as it was going to the scrap not working. I filled it up with oil and it's been fine since. It also has a quick lift start so the first stroke lifts till it hits something solid.

02GF74 - 26/3/07 at 09:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SeaBass
Its fine as long as you remember what a jack is for lifting not supporting.

That's right, ALWAYS use axle stands to support.

I lift mine on just the trolley and after a couple of days, it had lowered itself by a few cm. I never crawl underneth without solid support.

quote:
Originally posted by SeaBass
Even on something as light as the seven you can get some nice internal injuries if it falls on you.

And even if it doesn't crush you,. it will rest on your chest preventing you from breathing so do not take chances.