Board logo

Welding to galvanised steel
Steve Lovelock - 25/4/07 at 05:39 AM

If I wanted to weld some steel to piece of metal that has been galvenised could I just grind off the tin plate and weld as normal?

sarahjane - 25/4/07 at 06:16 AM

yes.clean up weld area and weld as normal but beware galv.[zinc] fumes are a bit nasty.good ventilation and a mask for jobs lasting for more than a few mins,or hold your breath weld it and leg it...

wilkingj - 25/4/07 at 06:37 AM

Agreed.

Fumes are toxic / poisionous. Not very nice.

Grind the galv away to bare steel. You can always paint it to protect it afterwards.

BenB - 25/4/07 at 07:29 AM

Yup. You get a stinking headache followed by flu like symptoms if you breath in lots of the fumes... Not nice.... (and can last quite a while)....

Bluemoon - 25/4/07 at 08:21 AM

Yep be carefull. You can also us a high zinc cold galvanising paint after to stop the weld/area rusting.

Dan

tegwin - 25/4/07 at 02:53 PM

As has been said, the fumes are very very nasty and can kill....

I would recomend wearing a proper charcole respirator.....

andy o - 25/4/07 at 03:07 PM

make sure you clean both sides of the galv steel as the heat will cause fumes from underneath!

Minicooper - 25/4/07 at 03:30 PM

We used to be given milk in the shipyards for some reason when working/welding with it, I've no idea how it was supposed to help but anyone welding with got a pint

Cheers
David

gixxerpat - 25/4/07 at 03:59 PM

I believe the fumes to be non hazardous, eventhough they can give you metal fever ,resulting in ,as said, bad flu like sympthons lasting a couple of days.Deffo, do it outside if poss, or stick a vacuum cleaner close buy to take the fumes away.....dont be put off though...

iank - 25/4/07 at 04:08 PM

I've read (somewhere) it can bring on a nasty asthma attack if you are susceptible. I suppose it could kill in that case, but mostly it's just like having flu.

gazza285 - 25/4/07 at 04:51 PM

Makes your cigs taste funny.

907 - 25/4/07 at 05:03 PM

Don't breath in the grinding dust either.

Powdered zinc is as bad as the fume.

Do it outside and stand upwind.

Paul G

oadamo - 25/4/07 at 06:28 PM

ive had a look in the Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards at work and this is what it says about welding galv.
Symptoms= Manganism; asthenia, insomnia, mental confusion; metal fume fever: dry throat, cough, chest tightness, dyspnea (breathing difficulty), rales, flu-like fever; low-back pain; vomiting; malaise (vague feeling of discomfort); lassitude (weakness, exhaustion); kidney damage

yes and the last one so wear a mask lol
adam

Steve Lovelock - 25/4/07 at 08:36 PM

OK, I see that I need to take care.

Thanks
Steve

gazza285 - 25/4/07 at 09:34 PM

If it's for a ten minute job then I wouldn't worry, we only start to consider forced ventilation if you are welding galv for extended periods.