Board logo

Which Course - Mig or Tig?
scootz - 6/8/07 at 06:49 PM

I've decided to take welding courses at the local college. They offer introductory MIG and TIG courses.

I anticipate only using any skills learned for 'hobby' purposes - mild steel and ali probably, but what of the two methods would be recommended?

I know that TIG kit costs a lot more, but that's not going to phase me.

SeaBass - 6/8/07 at 06:57 PM

Do you have/are you considering purchasing a TIG? If not then I would take the MIG course and perhaps do a TIG course in the future. I've found that since learning and using the TIG my MIG has got better due to my hand being steadier and not accepting poor welds from the MIG anymore (taking more time over the setup).

mark chandler - 6/8/07 at 08:01 PM

Its got to be TIG

You can do Ali
Its more satisfying
Its much cleaner, no spatter
It looks good
Its stronger
It uses the same techiniques as Gas welding
The list goes on & on...

Against

Its slower
It takes more skill (or is that + point)
Its harder to get in tight spaces
Ultimately it costs more in gas etc

Once I got my TIG set I parked the MIG, never even think about pulling it out anymore.

Regards Mark

Mark Allanson - 6/8/07 at 08:24 PM

If you master TIG welding during the course, then it will only take 30 mins to get it on with a MIG, if you speak nicely to your instructor, he will probably show you anyway

fabbyglass - 6/8/07 at 08:52 PM

TIG over MIG anyday.

thunderace - 6/8/07 at 09:32 PM

you can do 6 mig and 6 tig ask them when you start.

NS Dev - 7/8/07 at 12:19 PM

do the tig course, if you can master that, then you have ample skill for mig.

I always find with "beginners" using mig that the big problem is letting the welder push the pace too quickly, and tig just won't let you do that, you learn to watch what is actually happening at the weld rather than the light of the arc.

bobster - 7/8/07 at 02:26 PM

i am also interested in a welding course. instinct tells me to go for the tig course. but i have always wanted to run before i can walk! where are you thinking of doing the course? anywhere near guildford?

Minicooper - 8/8/07 at 08:05 AM

If your buying a tig, do the tig course
If your buying a mig do the mig course

Cheers
David

Doug68 - 8/8/07 at 02:56 PM

TIG.

scootz - 13/8/07 at 08:31 AM

Was just speaking to an old mate who was a shipyard welder - he says that I should avoid TIG if I'm looking to do chassis work... reckons a boggo electric arc welder will give a stronger weld on chassis rails etc.

Is he right?

Peteff - 13/8/07 at 09:34 AM

They don't build ships out of 16g though do they? Tig units will arc weld as well if you want to do both but for simplicity and cost I would go with mig.

NS Dev - 14/8/07 at 12:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Was just speaking to an old mate who was a shipyard welder - he says that I should avoid TIG if I'm looking to do chassis work... reckons a boggo electric arc welder will give a stronger weld on chassis rails etc.

Is he right?

hmmmmmm!!!

having oil cooled stick, MIG and TIG at home, TIG is by far and away the best for any job as long as you are not in a hurry.