Board logo

Nut pattern
Miks15 - 27/5/08 at 12:13 PM

My driveshafts are held on with a nut that is a 12point star shape if you get me? Anyone know what its called so i can get the right socket?

Cheers

chris_smith - 27/5/08 at 12:18 PM

torx i believe(prob get told im wrong)

Mr Whippy - 27/5/08 at 12:19 PM

yip, though they can be tight and some folk just grind them off and replace. They do go with a bang.

Miks15 - 27/5/08 at 12:20 PM

There the 6 point star shape i believe?

This one has 12 sides, i was in halfords yesterday and they had them in there but only in a big set for like £20 and i only need one of the sockets mabye 4 times so not worth it but forgot to see what it was called so i can find just the one i need on the internet.

miikae - 27/5/08 at 12:24 PM

I think that they might be called E spline sockets ,

Mike

Miks15 - 27/5/08 at 12:26 PM

yep they look like the ones, cheers mike

matt_baxter - 27/5/08 at 02:24 PM

Have you tried to just use a normal socket as I work with a piece of kit that has something similar on the starter motor and we just use a 10mm socket, although as I am typing I am wondering if it has more than 12 sides/points

mike smith1 - 27/5/08 at 02:51 PM

If your talking about the torx bolts that hold the drive shafts to the flanges, you need to cut the headsoff with a slitting disc then replace the bolts, i broke 5 torx bits trying to get them out, trust me the grinder is the way to do it!!

Mike

Miks15 - 27/5/08 at 03:17 PM

im talking about the big nut on the end into the hub. But would you say thats the best way to do it for the diff end? i assum only the flange will be threaded so once the heads off the shaft will slide off?

mike smith1 - 27/5/08 at 03:28 PM

I'm confused i think you are talking about the 4 bolts that hold the actual drive shaft to the carrier? May be a picture would explain

Mike

Mix - 27/5/08 at 03:39 PM

Hi

A normal bi-hex socket will remove them though technically they will probably be a 'spline drive fastener'

Regards Mick

Miks15 - 27/5/08 at 04:07 PM

Number 4 on here, getting that off. (mine is a different nut to the one shown)

Also another thing, getting the shaft of the flange to the diff, would you recommend just cutting the heads off?