Board logo

MIG welding stainless - !!NOW WITH AWESOME MS PAINT DIAGRAM!!
Benzine - 4/7/08 at 12:55 PM

Is a 75% argon / 25% CO2 mix okay for welding stainless or should I get a bottle of pure argon?

I'm trying to weld some 1.5mm thick stainless at the moment and I just can't get the hang of it, any tips? Wire feed/power etc?

Cheers

[Edited on 4/7/08 by Benzine]

tegwin - 4/7/08 at 01:42 PM

I found I had to whack up the power really high, increase the feed rate to prevent the wire welding to the tip...Even then the weld quality was poor!...

U should really use pure argon, but a mix ith some co2 would make the welding a lot easier....

Its not easy or pretty....Dont think I will try it again with a hobby welder!

Benzine - 4/7/08 at 01:46 PM

I've just lowered the feed rate and power and I'm getting better results but still not great. With a higher power it was distorting/blowing holes.

Benzine - 4/7/08 at 02:14 PM

Here's a diagram of what I've been welding. Figure A is when two sheets meet, this I can weld really well, v happy with it. But when I'm welding in a 90 degree angle it all goes down the pan What am I doing wrong?

Ivan - 4/7/08 at 02:23 PM

I seem to recall reading something about swapping the +ve and -ve leads for stainless welding - or was it for some other metal?

02GF74 - 4/7/08 at 02:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ivan
I seem to recall reading something about swapping the +ve and -ve leads for stainless welding - or was it for some other metal?

alumiumium I think.

here are some tips I wrote especially for ya

UncleFista - 4/7/08 at 02:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ivan

I don't think so, but I do know you have to swap +ve and -ve when you switch between gas and gasless wire.

Benzine - 4/7/08 at 03:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74

here are some tips I wrote especially for ya

^__^ thanks for the link, picked up some great tips. I'm really getting the hang of it now and I'm getting some excellent welds! I think I was just rushing it to much and I wasn't really concentrating on the bead. Also I've set up the work piece in a much better position to work on.

Volvorsport - 4/7/08 at 04:36 PM

nozzle needs to be poking out of the shield , to prevent spatter , you need to work quickly with high settings . youre not looking for penetration !

cjtheman - 4/7/08 at 04:44 PM

i would use astec 5 gas we use it in work
it gives an awesome finish
a little bit more expensive but well worth it
cheers
colin

kango - 13/7/08 at 06:06 AM

With regard to the gas used.

Is there a gas that you can use for mig and tig.

It looks like one gets a better result using tig on SS. Also nice once migged to go over it with the tig to neaten it up, but don't have space for another bottle of gas?