Board logo

moulding panels
wrigglypig - 13/9/08 at 10:56 PM

I dont know if anyone else knows of this technique or not so forgive me if you have heard it before. A friend of mine said he worked the idea out? He makes trikes for a living and often has complex body panels and engine covers to make and this is how he does it. I have helped him do it and it is brilliant. I would nt use it for the panels on the locosts as they are reverse noulds ie the outer surface needs sanding anf flatting. You will get the idea and work out what you can do.

Start with a large sheet of glass or polished melamine mdf or similar smooth flat surface, polish it with spray furniture polish to make it release, then pour a layer of liquid latex over it, when it is dry it can easily be peeled off leaving you with a large sheet of thin stretchy rubber.
If you need to make unusual or peculiar engine covers or similar, you can not make the cover a very tight fit to the engine, so cover the area in seveal layers of sponge foam ( this gives you the spacer) then stretch the latex tight over the area and hold in place with bulldog clips and clothes pegs then begin with your gel coat and begin layering up ontop of the latex, once dry the latex pulls away and you can trim the pofile to shape, have a go let me know what you think? I have seen some very professional panels made like this. Kev

mr henderson - 14/9/08 at 09:05 AM

I hadn't hear of that before, but it sounds like an excellent idea. I should think a bit of care would be needed to avoid awkward creases and undercuts, although the fibreglass will have some flex, so a partial undercut might well be OK.

Thanks

John