Board logo

internal hard drive
westf27 - 28/6/09 at 06:27 PM

I have fitted an 80 gb drive alongside my existing 80gb.The original drive is vista and the additional drive is xp.The jumper settings are different on both drives,does this matter.If so is there a diagram to show me where to place the connectors.I have issues running the xp drive in device manager it shows some bus and pci needing drivers/installing.Would these be able to trnsfer from other drive.

flak monkey - 28/6/09 at 06:45 PM

Should plug in and work fine, may confuse it somewhat that you have 2 operating systems, but its not usually an issue.

I assume both drives are IDE and not SATA?

The jumper configuration should be master on one and slave on the other.

If they both show in the bios you should be able to see both in windoze.

David

westf27 - 28/6/09 at 06:53 PM

its the jumper position I am not sure about.One drive has one jumper and the other has two.Any idea which pins to link

SteveWalker - 28/6/09 at 07:06 PM

Each drive should have a label on it saying what each jumper does. If you have both drives on the same IDE cable (or one drive and a DVD or CD-ROM), then you need one to be master and the other to be slave. I you have only one device on a cable, then it should be master.

britishtrident - 28/6/09 at 07:07 PM

If you are booting off the xp drive but still have a different version windows system on the slave drive it will leads to problem.

Disconnect the vista drive and try to get the driver files you need off the web -- Vista drivers are always different from Xp drivers.

After you have Xp running properly then you can think what you want to do with the Vista drive.

charliemuir - 16/7/09 at 09:34 PM

yeah woudl format the 'spare' and try again - jumper settings are usually stamped on the top of the HDD