Board logo

Hard Drive Access is Protected??
liam.mccaffrey - 5/8/09 at 11:09 AM

Last year I installed XP to replace Vista on my laptop and before I did it I copied an image onto a spare USB hard drive for completeness. There are a bunch of files i need on there and no matter what i do it keeps asking for admin password when i want to access the user account area. I didn’t set us admin accounts on the laptop in question.

EDIT
Just navigated to it and it let
Any idea how to get in there easily?

[Edited on 5/8/09 by liam.mccaffrey]

madmandegge - 5/8/09 at 11:33 AM

I think this might be possible by making "Administrator" on your current PC the owner?

If so, right click the folder in question, then select Properties > Security > Advanced > Owner and make the account you use the owner of the files.

This may take a while, as it'll set you as the owner for each file in the directory, but it should fix the problem.

Regards,
Simon

mad4x4 - 5/8/09 at 12:08 PM

Is the USB Drive is NTFS then you should be able to convert it to FAT32 and therefore forget the access rights.

If it is a copmelte PC/Laptop then there are various Linux Live CD's that allow you to reset the Admin Password.

britishtrident - 5/8/09 at 02:34 PM

Live Linux CDs are great for rescuing stuff on Windows drives.

Download Puppy Linux ISO which is tiny and ideal for the purpose make a Puppy boot CD from the ISO, then boot from CD and you will be able to do whateever you want with the windows files.

http://www.puppylinux.com/

[Edited on 5/8/09 by britishtrident]