Board logo

Whats the best antivirus software ?
steve m - 10/12/14 at 11:41 AM

Ive got Norton installed at the moment, and it expires in a couple off weeks time,
but over the last few weeks we have been plagued with popups and crap, so perhaps I will use someone else, as Norton doesn't seem to be able to filter out all the junk

so currently what is the best one to use, I don't mind paying for one, as long as it works

steve

fesycresy - 10/12/14 at 11:49 AM

I don't rate Norton and seen Mcafee slow down too many PC's.

I like Kaspersky if you're paying, other than that Avast or AVG, both free.

Trollyjack - 10/12/14 at 11:52 AM

Our company uses these ESET I also use it at home have a 4PC deal cannot fault them.
I used Norton got pissed off with them taking too much for granted
Used Eset now for 3 years.

britishtrident - 10/12/14 at 11:55 AM

I regard Norton as malware it gets slower the longer it is installed.

Personally I recommend the paid version of Avira been using bit for 10 years plus, the freeversion is OK but the servers that provide the updates are over loaded.

r1_pete - 10/12/14 at 12:05 PM

I've been using freeware - Comodo for a few years now, no issues, other than things are a bit slow when it downloads and installs new signatures...

ragindave - 10/12/14 at 12:06 PM

I also use comodo no issues it is free and is reliable.

dubzter - 10/12/14 at 12:15 PM

Over the last few years I've used AVG (free) with no problems at all. It does need an upgrade every so often but if you keep on top of that it's fine. Doesn't seem to hog resources the same as the likes of Norton/McAfee

nick205 - 10/12/14 at 12:21 PM

At work we've recently changed from McAfee to Kaspersky. Other than the fact it was a better deal through our IT provider I can't honestly tell the difference in operation. Home laptop is running Microsoft Security Essentials, which doesn't seem to cause any issues and it's free.

Slimy38 - 10/12/14 at 01:04 PM

Another vote for MSE here, it works perfectly fine.

However, an antivirus won't block popups, you need something in your browser to do that. And that depends on what browser you use.

Chris_Xtreme - 10/12/14 at 02:11 PM

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/security-essentials-download

is what I have switched to for personal use, no fancy features, but is streamlined, doesn't seem to slow the pc down and updates come through with windows updates.. easy.

it was available on xp too, not sure if you can still get it, and or if MS are still doing updates for the xp version now xp is out of support.

should add it is free

[Edited on 10/12/14 by Chris_Xtreme]

neilp1 - 10/12/14 at 03:27 PM

I use AVG, the full internet suite which I paid for. I used the AVG free edition for years before that with no problems.

dave r - 10/12/14 at 05:30 PM

kaspersky here, free if you bank with barclays

steve m - 10/12/14 at 06:41 PM

Well, I went with Kaspersky,

But thanks to all the replies, as I did pursue all avenues first

steve

[Edited on 10/12/14 by steve m]