Board logo

chinging to one of those tiny cases
Messenjah - 9/1/06 at 08:11 PM

ok i want to change my pc atm its in a tower case but i want to have one of those little cases like th epic below

i know ill need a new motherboard but i dont know what one

ok heres what my pc has got at the moment

processor = amd athalon xp 2800
ram = 1024 mb
graphics card = radeon 9600 pro
crappy sound card any suggestions fairly cheaply ??

and a network card that cost me £10

i just need a motherboard and a case but i dont know what i need to get or how much it will cost or where to get it from

anyone help ?? o and ive got a couple of power supplies floating around but if i need to get a small one it isnt a problem

Dillinger1977 - 9/1/06 at 08:28 PM

if you're getting a new motherboard, chances are it'll have a soundcard + network card built in.

Peteff - 9/1/06 at 08:35 PM

Some mini cases I've seen have the motherboard built in, including sound and graphics so you need to add drives, processor and memory to make a functioning computer. Shuttle and Soltek are the ones I'm thinking of, the one in your picture looks a bit bigger, like a mini atx which would take a mATX motherboard, which will have network and sound onboard and optional graphics as stated above. Ethernet cards are only about £3.

[Edited on 9/1/06 by Peteff]

RazMan - 9/1/06 at 09:09 PM

I've got two mini computers which I built. One is a Shuttle and the other is an Epox 'Mini-me'. They both use 3.2Ghz P4 processors, 1Gb ram, 200Gb hard drives. They also have everything on board - 5.1 sound, networking, 6 usb ports, MP3 player, card reader etc etc so they are really top notch systems.
Why anybody wants a full sized now days is beyond me.

Go for a 'barebones' system and you get everything you need - just add your own memory, drive etc and you will be up and running in no time.

Have a search on www.ebuyer.com for some good deals

graememk - 9/1/06 at 09:44 PM

shuttle best but £££££

look for a ez buddy very reliable sold 100's never had one back

stevebubs - 9/1/06 at 09:47 PM

Ditto on the shuttle - love mine - very quiet, too....until you turn the speakers on...

viatron - 9/1/06 at 10:56 PM

Another vote for Shuttles range here, luve em to death.
Mac

JamieG - 9/1/06 at 11:37 PM

Should be able to whack your old ram hard drive and cpu into a shuttle case pretty easily , the barebones ones come with motherboards which have (usually) sound network and graphic onboard.
If your tower case is going spare, would yo be interested in flogging it? one of my pcs is just spread out on a desk at the moment!

Messenjah - 10/1/06 at 12:08 AM

as it happens ive got a spare tower case sitting beside me its not a full size one its a weird size

space on the front for 2 cd size drives and one floppy

and its shorter

Messenjah - 10/1/06 at 03:51 AM

anyone tell me how much yyou think i can sell my pc for

2.8 ghz amd athalon processor
1024 mb ram
radeon 9600 pro 128mb graphics card
cd rw drive
dvd rom drive
new hard drive of your choice

installed with your choice of windows 95 or xp professional , office xp , photoshop and nero

bimbleuk - 10/1/06 at 08:18 AM

Always worth searching on tomshardware.com as they regularly do group tests on cases etc

RazMan - 10/1/06 at 08:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Messenjah
anyone tell me how much yyou think i can sell my pc for

2.8 ghz amd athalon processor
1024 mb ram
radeon 9600 pro 128mb graphics card
cd rw drive
dvd rom drive
new hard drive of your choice

installed with your choice of windows 95 or xp professional , office xp , photoshop and nero

Unfortunately you will be competing aginst companies like Dell who now do complete systems including monitor for less than £300. These are also a much higher spec than your pc so you are probably better off keeping it or passing it on to a friend or family member.
I used to make a living out of building systems about five years ago (when it was profitable) but had to switch careers when they became almost disposable

Your system will still be useable though - anyone who has an older one can only use it as a doorstop!