Board logo

Virus removal scam?
Lightning - 17/11/06 at 09:31 PM

My computer keeps giving me warnings of a various viruses via a bubble at the bottom of the screen, however updated McAfee says its clear. This would appear to a scam as these link to various virus cleaning programs such as antivirusgolden, Malware and antivermins.
McAfee manager says these sites have had bad feedback.
I've tried to get stop this reoccuring to no avail. Ive run Spybot and Adaware and of course McAfee. There is also a Protection bar toolbar that I also can't get rid. Can anyone point to how I can remove this junk???
HELP I have saved all my company info to CD so radical solutions should not be a problem.

[Edited on 17/11/06 by Lightning]

ScottP - 17/11/06 at 09:37 PM

Steve I had this prob a couple of weeks ago-ended up having to do a system restore! Worked-couldn't get rid of it any other way!

graememk - 17/11/06 at 09:54 PM

system restore to day week ago or to before it happend

russbost - 17/11/06 at 10:27 PM

Yup, providing you're on XP roll it back!

BenB - 17/11/06 at 10:46 PM

Rollback and re-install isn't necessary.
Spyaxe gives all those warnings

http://www.schrockinnovations.com/removespyaxe.php

Shows how to remove.
Good luck.... And make sure you redo Spybot and Adaware post removal, your computer will no doubt have more tunnels than a Goldmine.........

Lightning - 18/11/06 at 12:26 AM

I've tried to roll back several times and it wont have it.

Ben B trying your way but I am confused on the first operation, as it says use the links below to save 2 tools to the desktop. There only appears to be one link?????

britishtrident - 18/11/06 at 08:56 AM

Sounds like a pestware trojan try a vist to the castle cops forum http://www.castlecops.com/

Lightning - 18/11/06 at 10:21 PM

All was going swimmingly but I don't seem to be able to get up the Task manager. I tried right clicking on the task bar. Task manager appears in the box that pops up, but nought seems to happen. Help please.