Board logo

HELP! PC won't boot up
Humbug - 17/9/07 at 06:28 AM

...obviously not the one I'm typing this on . I went to start up my desktop PC this morning and it hangs on "Initializing USB Controllers". Pressing F1 (for Setup) or Esc (for BBS menu???) don't work (could reboot again and press it earlier, maybe).

Any ideas, peeps?

Thanks

[Edited on 17.09.2007 by Humbug]

bimbleuk - 17/9/07 at 07:29 AM

First thing are there any USB devices plugged in, if so remove them (also floppies or CDs/DVDs.

Unplug it from the wall, give it 10 mins try again.

If that didn't work I would be taking the side off next to reset the BIOS using the motherboard jump (CMOS clear) or similar. Again unplug the power lead when doing this to make sure it clears properly.

You may have some issues with BIOS settings immediately after though. hopefully your familiar with that part.

[Edited on 17/9/07 by bimbleuk]

Peteff - 17/9/07 at 08:11 AM

Press for the BBS menu and set it to boot from the hard drive first, cd second and any other devices last.

richijenkin - 17/9/07 at 08:39 AM

Does it beep at all?

Sounds like its not recognising the hard drive, check inside and make sure all cables are plugged in.

Humbug - 17/9/07 at 10:31 AM

It doesn't give me time to press any of the buttons.

I don't think it beeps, so I will check the hard disk connections

Ta

Humbug - 17/9/07 at 11:51 AM

SOLVED - thanks once again to Locostbuilders.

I opend up the PC, checked the SATA cable on the hard disc - seemed ok, but I removed it and replugged it. No joy. Then I plugged it into once of the other disk drive slots on the motherboard and bingo!

Thanks again

Hellfire - 17/9/07 at 12:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Humbug

I opend up the PC, checked the SATA cable on the hard disc - seemed ok, but I removed it and replugged it. No joy. Then I plugged it into once of the other disk drive slots on the motherboard and bingo!

Thanks again

To me that sounds like a warning - BACK UP al your sensative information before it goes pop!

Steve

Humbug - 17/9/07 at 12:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
quote:
Originally posted by Humbug

Thanks again

To me that sounds like a warning - BACK UP al your sensative information before it goes pop!

Steve

I never said I hadn't backed up my data! I do incremental backups of key things every day, so I was able to get my email etc. on another machine.