Board logo

Got an old Dell Laptop - can I upgrade the HDD?
Jasper - 14/6/08 at 03:21 PM

I've got an old Dell laptop that my daughter uses and abuses. It's only got a crappy 30Gb HDD, is it possible to get larger ones, and are they relatively easy to fit? She's driving me mad for a new one, but there's no chance of that at the moment.

mookaloid - 14/6/08 at 04:07 PM

30 Gb doesn't sound too bad to me - if it's a crappy old Laptop it won't be much good for editing photos or movies so why would you need more than that?

You can upgrade it if you want - just install a new hard drive and reload the o/s and sofware.

Cheers

Mark

liam.mccaffrey - 14/6/08 at 04:10 PM

absolutely, obviously not familiar with your particluar laptop though, but you will need to mirror your hard drive (or do a new install)
then swap the drives over. check out acronis true image or wait for people to pipe in with free alternatives

Aico - 14/6/08 at 05:08 PM

Maybe it's easier to use an external HDD? You have lots now for a good price with USB.

Taylor R1 - 14/6/08 at 06:44 PM

Try these. They should be able to sort you out if you still want a bigger drive.

http://www.drivemylaptop.co.uk/

Schrodinger - 15/6/08 at 08:55 AM

I used to have a Dell laptop and considered upgrading the HDD but there was nowhere in the BIOS to change the drive details and all of the specs suggested the same. Check this before you buy something or get an external drive for her.