Board logo

Watch that first step, it's a bit high!
David Jenkins - 23/1/10 at 10:39 AM

Going down...

mistergrumpy - 23/1/10 at 11:00 AM

Read a book about an ex SAS man who was mad on skydiving and tried to break this record. It details a lot about Joe Kittinger and they met up to discuss the many complications of the attempt but he failed in the end. Can't remember why now but I know he started suffering from mental health issues and eventually stabbed his girlfriend who survived.
A year or so later I heard he'd decided to end his life and jumped out of a plane without his parachute. Great book, pity I can't remember the title it's packed in the garage somewhere.

rusty nuts - 23/1/10 at 06:33 PM

IIRC Joe Kittinger reached a speed of over 600mph jumping from 106,000feet ,although I thought had a drogue chute to help with stability. Highest I ever jumped was 19,000 feet from the back of a Hercules in Belgium

Ninehigh - 24/1/10 at 08:08 AM

Yeah I heard he was the first guy to break the sound barrier without the aid of a plane. That must have been something in itself!

rgdavid - 25/1/10 at 08:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
Read a book about an ex SAS man who was mad on skydiving and tried to break this record. It details a lot about Joe Kittinger and they met up to discuss the many complications of the attempt but he failed in the end. Can't remember why now but I know he started suffering from mental health issues and eventually stabbed his girlfriend who survived.
A year or so later I heard he'd decided to end his life and jumped out of a plane without his parachute. Great book, pity I can't remember the title it's packed in the garage somewhere.

"Seven troop3 by Andy Mcnab,

read 3 of his books recently in hospital,
they really devote their lives to serving the army & us,,
i'm not really into the army thing but it just goes to show how the higher classes & finance are protected,