Board logo

Now here's a job !
ken555 - 15/9/10 at 08:21 PM

Changing the bulb 1768 feet up a transmitter mast !

Youtube video

mistergrumpy - 15/9/10 at 08:56 PM

Made my stomach turn keep looking down. There's high and there's high!

NigeEss - 15/9/10 at 10:48 PM

There's more chance of Beckham becoming Prime Minister than there is of me
going up there

Liam - 15/9/10 at 11:02 PM

I feel sick! I'm going to bed... and tying myself on for safety.

violentblue - 15/9/10 at 11:55 PM

I used to be a tower jockey, heights don't scare me, just unsettling scenarios.

I've climbed 1000+ ft tall towers , they dont scare me, but a 200ft tower with a 50ft broadcast antenna (no securing guy-wires on the antenna) had to change the light at the top in moderate winds.
the way they bugger was swaying, I swore I'd never go up it again.

mind you I've hung upside down off a 20 ft outrigger (extends out from the tower by 20 ft) 500 ft in the air, to waterseal a connector, nothing below me except the ground, completely upside down, and have felt completely safe and confident.

violentblue - 15/9/10 at 11:59 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GPWkbLVw04
watching this video gave me the shivers.
working on towers as I have, you never ever ever let go with your hands, unless you have both legs wrapped around it.

[Edited on 16/9/10 by violentblue]

Guinness - 16/9/10 at 06:55 AM

Did you see http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00tv973/Climbing_Great_Buildings_St_Pauls_Cathedral/ the other night.

The body language of the presenter was enough to make me feel a bit uneasy. Almost exactly the same feeling as when I abseiled off the Tyne Bridge......

Peteff - 16/9/10 at 08:29 AM

I watched that and it made my feet itch

balidey - 16/9/10 at 08:47 AM

link in first post reads....

This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by TheOnLineEngineer.org.

anyone got another link to it?

Nash - 16/9/10 at 12:42 PM

What about the other way. Confined spaces. I used to inspect tube bundles inside boilers. 2ft thick steel walls, 18" manhole inlet, extremely cramped dark and SILENT.

Top Tip, take the manhole cover nuts in the boiler with you

..............Neil

coyoteboy - 16/9/10 at 01:18 PM

Just search for the title in youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQv-o5Kgbko

Once it's on the internet, it's staying there!

quote:
What about the other way. Confined spaces. I used to inspect tube bundles inside boilers. 2ft thick steel walls, 18" manhole inlet, extremely cramped dark and SILENT.

That would do my head in I have to admit. I can't stand the feeling of being trapped. I once climbed through the mouth of a kiddies playground thing in the IoW and got stuck with my arms next to my body and unable to breath properly. This turned into mild hyperventilation and me going absolutely loopy until my mates pulled me out by my legs.

[Edited on 16/9/10 by coyoteboy]

balidey - 16/9/10 at 01:49 PM

watching that made my bits shrink

Ninehigh - 16/9/10 at 04:01 PM

Makes me want to step off, which is why I don't do heights

rusty nuts - 16/9/10 at 08:51 PM

BASE anyone???

Breaker - 18/9/10 at 10:25 AM

Working linky:

http://www.flabber.nl/linkdump/video/stairway-to-heaven-6180

The Shootist - 20/9/10 at 04:35 PM

Cody is in the US Army stationed in a southeast asian country. On a typical day in the field. he will leave base in a chopper, fly several hours to the base of a mountain, hike a couple hours to the top of the mountain, gear up, and climb hundreds of feet up a radio tower changing the collision lights. He then climbs back down, hikes back to the chopper, and fly's back to base.

He doesn't go out every day, but he has sent some amazing photos back.

steve m - 20/9/10 at 08:01 PM

That was cool !! but i do actually feel quite queasy

Climbing up although hard on the body is easy, climbing down is HARD

martyn_16v - 20/9/10 at 09:42 PM

Jesus H Christ that gave me the willies

I can't believe any country with an over-developed rabid legal industry still allows free climbing, and even if it did, some of those free transitions onto the antenna itself and then right at the top over the light were just lunacy.

I've worked off the top of a 900ft structure before and that moved a fair bit in the wind, a tower like like will shift a hell of a lot. He only has to be unlucky once and he's a 50ft wide stain

MikeR - 21/9/10 at 08:52 AM

what he said!

I happily rock climb, but last week i went up a church in Barcelona (on a tour, inside the church, on proper stairs) and looking over the side gave me dizzy spells! That would have me clinging to the mast for dear life and investing in a parachute!

mangogrooveworkshop - 2/10/10 at 11:35 AM

Perfect job for a base jumper

That way they could do some useful work before they jump