Board logo

Andy Gray terminology
graememk - 26/1/11 at 09:15 AM

MK9R - 26/1/11 at 09:36 AM

PMSL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

steve m - 26/1/11 at 09:40 AM

Im with Andy Gray

My Sister hasnt got a clue about the offside rule, and she has been to more top class premier/Championship games than
Ms massey

Agriv8 - 26/1/11 at 09:56 AM

Oh thats upset Mrs Agriv8.

Who played footie since giving up Rugby ( university team ) .

As left back they often sprang the offside trap.

regards

Agriv8

liam.mccaffrey - 26/1/11 at 10:00 AM

Get this my wife explained the offside rule to me. I prefer the oval ball myself

omega0684 - 26/1/11 at 10:40 AM

look at the guy on the right, i reckon he's thinking, " i need to go pee pee!"

Fozzie - 26/1/11 at 11:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8

regards

Agriv8

oOOOOo me too! Always played footie .... and at college played rugby ...

Understanding the offside rule is NOT a problem here......but I will add that it's a great shame that a lot of male
footie officials do NOT understand it.....or take the correct measures when the offence has been noticed
by them......

Obviously the two Sky presenters must feel threatened by a woman footie official to make such derogatory/insulting remarks!

Anyway the whole issue is mad, so off to 'mad house' this goes......

Fozzie

TimEllershaw - 26/1/11 at 11:49 AM

We have a couple of Female rugby referees around here. Better than 90% of the blokes we have.

The same goes for the female Engineers we have at work. They are all really good too.

Probably because they have to prove themselves "worthy" to be accepted in a mans' world, and so put in a lot more effort than anybody else.

TimEllershaw - 26/1/11 at 11:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
look at the guy on the right, i reckon he's thinking, " i need to go pee pee!"

Isn't the guy on the right on Eastenders ?

[Edited on 26/1/2011 by TimEllershaw]

scootz - 26/1/11 at 12:03 PM

Serves him right! He's been untouchable for far too long, when the fact of the matter is that he's not actually that good a commentator. He's just a loud-mouth bully that forces his view across!

I watched the game and the lineswoman got the big call of the game right... it was well ONSIDE! Gray was still questioning it after having seen two slow-mo re-runs that obviously confirmed her correctness. He was SO desperate for her to have got it wrong and to stoke a bit of controversy!

Prat!

I would like to see more female officials in football... I reckon it would cut down on a lot of the aggressive protests we see week-in week-out. Look at two of the worst offenders - Rooney and Terry.... the venemous abuse that they spit out at the officials is incredible (and they rarely get booked for it!). Thankfully we still have some standards in society and I'm pretty sure that few would accept them getting into female officials faces aggressively and shouting / swearing at them.

I'd love to ref a Man Utd - Chelski game. They'd soon know what was and was not acceptable!

blakep82 - 26/1/11 at 12:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
I would like to see more female officials in football...

they should be hot though

[Edited on 26/1/11 by blakep82]

daviep - 26/1/11 at 12:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
quote:

And naked

blakep82 - 26/1/11 at 12:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by daviep
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
quote:

And naked

excellent, so we're all agreed then
i'll get on to the FA now. any more ideas, let me know

omega 24 v6 - 26/1/11 at 12:40 PM

Rugby is the real mans game.

Professional footballers, professional fouls(WTF), big unjustifiable wages, mucking their wifes about etc etc etc the list goes on. They set a bad ethos for impressionable youngsters who idolise then as well.

Sorry but the majority, even at local club level, are self centered prima donna's

Sorry if that offends any genuine prima donna's (being linked to the football fraternity).

Not in a good mood today (does it show)

Fozzie - 26/1/11 at 01:07 PM

Got to agree...^ ^ sadly ......

Footie has long ceased being a game, it is now just 'business'.......and balancing books (financial).
Selling/buying players is now NOT about 'for the good of the club/player' but all about finances....
and how much they can 'get away' with charging for tickets/kit......which is why I don't go to games anymore...

The big clubs have loads of players on their books, from their youth teams to their under 21 teams,
and some of those are good players......When it was about football, those youngsters would have been
nurtured through to the first team......but no.....they bring them through and then sell them for as much as they can get...
To balance the books so to speak, they then buy players for their first teams......

It is all about finance.....and sadly not about the good of the game/club.....

@ blake and davie ..... the day they get 'fit' and 'hot' male officials, yet alone for them to run around naked....
you may have a valid point.................................

Fozzie

scootz - 26/1/11 at 01:09 PM

Whaddya mean Fozz...

MikeR - 26/1/11 at 01:11 PM

One of my best friends is a FA qualified coach, i've even been along to help out with coaching sessions. She's was also a left back till injury forced her out. Apart from the fact she's fitter, stronger and more active than me she also knows the game a lot better. It should not be about what sex you are, it should be about what ability you have.

As for ref'ing a match ...... I'd do something similar to my nephews under 18 matches. I'd go and see each team before the match and explain what is and isn't acceptable. One thing that isn't acceptable is anyone other than the player i've called or that teams captain approaching me along with ANY abuse to either myself, fellow officials or opposition players. Anyone throwing abuse would be carded - it REALLY winds me up.

Fozzie - being a wigan fan I understand and agree. We change players to quickly these days i can't remember who's in the squad anymore. Its all part of the 'business' of staying in the Premier league and its killing (killed?) the game. One of my favourite players was Andy Liddell. Stayed with us for 6 years and became a real fans favourite. Despite leaving the club 7 years ago when his daughter died 18 months ago he raised money for her hospice in Yorkshire and loads of Wiganers chipped in. Now we've got a couple of players who've been with us 4 years - although one isn't a regular player. Most players are signed with the expectation we'll sell them on in a couple of years as we're a 'stepping' stone. Very few players come through the ranks (although with Liverpool, Everton, Bolton, Blackburn, ManU, ManC all within an hour its not surprising we don't get much through the youth system). Its just not the same

[Edited on 26/1/11 by MikeR]

[Edited on 26/1/11 by MikeR]

Agriv8 - 26/1/11 at 02:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fozzie
quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8

regards

Agriv8

oOOOOo me too! Always played footie .... and at college played rugby ...

Understanding the offside rule is NOT a problem here......but I will add that it's a great shame that a lot of male
footie officials do NOT understand it.....or take the correct measures when the offence has been noticed
by them......

Obviously the two Sky presenters must feel threatened by a woman footie official to make such derogatory/insulting remarks!

Anyway the whole issue is mad, so off to 'mad house' this goes......

Fozzie

As a respectable teacher turning up to school with a black eye and stud marks were a little frowned apon so switched to football, though has hung her boots for a while to brigging up the Agriv8 Clan.

She played Played 5 a side once a week as well and 1 eve training

in Rugby Mrs Played second Row Leeds Met Uni - I will add that the best scrap I saw in a rugby match was when the 'Ladies ' were playing ref laid out cold ' other teams captin - sent off and banned' and it stopped the 'Lads Game' playing on the Pitch next Door Happy days

PS to add on subject I fail to see why the respect for the ref is so diferent between Rugby and Football but bellive the best way would be Sin bim offences for 'profesional fouls' abuse to ref lineman ect ect

regards

agriv8

MikeR - 26/1/11 at 03:23 PM

A number of rugby friends keep suggesting the same sin bin solution - would be and interesting and immediate punishment.

Ninehigh - 26/1/11 at 05:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
A number of rugby friends keep suggesting the same sin bin solution - would be and interesting and immediate punishment.

Hopefully they'll get compacted after the ten minutes...

As for it no longer being a game but a business, it is in part funded by the mugs that go watch them..

Myself, after playing (well watching my team get battered because they were jessies) rugby at school age, I don't encourage any team sports