Board logo

Tips/pics for bending+fitting cycle wing brackets for csr style wings..??
foes - 7/1/09 at 09:09 AM

Just wondered if anyone has got any tips/hints/pics of how to set up and put the bend into the cycle wing brackets (cortina uprights+csr style wings), just about to start doing them and want to try and get it at least nearly right first time

cheers.

[Edited on 7/1/09 by foes]

Mr Whippy - 7/1/09 at 09:16 AM

Bolt the bracket to the car and make a cardboard template of the curve you want. Then use that when its in the vice

nick205 - 7/1/09 at 09:20 AM

hate to say it, but this was my least favourite part of the build

That said, I did get it done and looking the way I wanted

I fitted the brackets to the uprights and then used small blocks of wood between the tyre and the arm of the braket to act as a former while I hand bent the arm over the tyre. It helps if you pump the tyres up nice a firm.

It took a number of attempts to get the right bend shape and wing position and then a few more attempts to get the other side to look the same.

Little at a time and with patience would be my main advice.

mackei23b - 7/1/09 at 11:34 AM

I've seen it done with some 'o' ring spanners to form the bend.

I did dome measurements and used the vice.

Cheers

ian

Jumpy Guy - 7/1/09 at 02:45 PM

I did mine exactly as above- bolt them to the upright, then wood blocks as formers.

tyres up as hard as you can get 'em

then bend with a ring spanner, and a rubber mallet

i did it over a couple of nights, so i didn't get too angry !!

foes - 7/1/09 at 10:20 PM

Cool, thanks for the replies...

How much clearance should i be aiming to get between the tyre and bracket..?

Also anyone got any pics of the bend shapes they have formed? As i looked at hellfires website and he has bent them towards the wheel then around it, i assume for the bracket to fit up the inner edge of the cycle wing, rather than one bend and having to cut a section out of the wing? If that makes any sense (hard to explain!)