Board logo

Wing stays - it's a Marmite thing!
David Jenkins - 28/6/09 at 06:59 PM

Even before I posted this I knew I would get mixed reactions - but I've finally finished my outside wing stays. My conventional nearside wing stays have had to be re-welded about 4 or 5 times, and I was getting fed up with it. In the end I decided that the only solution was to support the wing on both sides - I'd seen one solution, and decided to try my own variation.

I've been fiddling around for ages, and doing quite a bit of head-scratching to make it all fit together.

Now I know that some people won't like it - but I really don't care! My wings are now rock-steady and just don't flap. If they don't flap, then there's a fair chance that they won't crack due to fatigue, as they did before.

Full details of how they were made can be found on my website - follow the wing stays link on the front page. I've even included my drawings! How kind am I?

stevegough - 28/6/09 at 07:07 PM

Interesting - just like cycle mudguard stays, aren't they? - Is there a non - rotating point in the middle of the wheel, then?

I think the proof of the pudding is if they work.

Steve

[Edited on 28/6/09 by stevegough]

RichardK - 28/6/09 at 07:10 PM

Ah, so thats what you wanted the felt washer for!!!

mookaloid - 28/6/09 at 07:17 PM

that is truly remarkable

Well thought out that man

I don't actually like it, but I have got to admire the ingenuity

eddie99 - 28/6/09 at 07:25 PM

Saw your car today at the meet, thought it was a great idea... Well done!!

omega0684 - 28/6/09 at 07:29 PM

sorry, its a marmite 'hate it' moment for me
(i don't literally hate them, just using the marmaite catchphrase)

[Edited on 28/6/09 by omega0684]

Daddylonglegs - 28/6/09 at 07:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by stevegough
Interesting - just like cycle mudguard stays, aren't they? - Is there a non - rotating point in the middle of the wheel, then?

I assume it's either using, or instead of the hub nut cover?

David Jenkins - 28/6/09 at 07:40 PM

It's explained on the website - but it's based on an extended hub nut that goes through the cover, with seals on each side to keep the muck out.

Incidentally - I saw another car today with tabs on its wings, ready for a similar solution!

[Edited on 28/6/09 by David Jenkins]

PAUL FISHER - 28/6/09 at 07:56 PM

That looks just like "locoR1's" wing stays I saw at Newark Rescued attachment wing stay.jpg
Rescued attachment wing stay.jpg

David Jenkins - 28/6/09 at 08:06 PM

Yep - seeing that got me going on this project. His is different, in that he used a bearing fastened to the hole in the wheel. I didn't have room to do that, so had to take an alternative approach.

locoR1 - 28/6/09 at 08:10 PM

Looks familiar I know there not to everyone's taste but you wont regret it! mine have probably been on the car a good 5-6 years or so now with no problems

David Jenkins - 28/6/09 at 08:15 PM

It was quite amusing today at the BBQ - I could see a bloke standing next to the front wheel, with a "How the hell does that work?" look on his face...

BenB - 28/6/09 at 09:01 PM

I like the engineering, not so keen on how it looks. But each to their own- it's a good solution to a well known problem so respect is due either way!

locoR1 - 28/6/09 at 09:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
It was quite amusing today at the BBQ - I could see a bloke standing next to the front wheel, with a "How the hell does that work?" look on his face...

You wait till the first show you take it to, always see people looking at mine find it quite amusing

Here's an interesting fact for you with yours i know of three locosts with them on the third lives in Belgium but was at Newark we all have the same name "David"how ironic is that!

blakep82 - 28/6/09 at 10:58 PM

yeah, not to my taste, but a very nice piece of work, and if it fixes the problem, then all good!

how much work is inloved in taking them off, to change a tyre for example?

907 - 29/6/09 at 07:16 AM

Loved the stays, love Marmite.

Paul G

Daddylonglegs - 29/6/09 at 07:34 AM

Just as an aside, maybe if you paint the bit betwen the wheel and the tyre black it won't be so obvious? (assuming silver wheels of course )

JB

locoR1 - 29/6/09 at 07:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
Just as an aside, maybe if you paint the bit betwen the wheel and the tyre black it won't be so obvious? (assuming silver wheels of course )

JB

Good thinking and it does make a difference i did that to mine a few months after fitting them

iank - 29/6/09 at 07:46 AM

I think they're quite smart, if perhaps not very 'sporty' - I don't think they'd suit a stripped out, carbon fibre everything no screen car very well, but quite in character for a more traditional roadster style car.

I've passed your website link onto the muddybuggies list as we also have similar problems - maybe even worse as you guys don't drive through quarries/ploughed fields (at least intentionally )

David Jenkins - 29/6/09 at 07:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
how much work is inloved in taking them off, to change a tyre for example?

If you have the 2 allen keys required - about 30 seconds. If you haven't got the keys - all bets are off!

locoR1 - 29/6/09 at 07:52 AM

Just found a picture with the part over the tyre painted black helps them blend in a little bit!

[img][/img]

David Jenkins - 29/6/09 at 07:58 AM

I'm not sure that I want to blend them in - yet. I'll probably wait a while and see how the mood takes me.

James - 29/6/09 at 09:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I'm not sure that I want to blend them in - yet. I'll probably wait a while and see how the mood takes me.

Be proud of them. An ingenious solution to a common problem.

One of mine broke and I bodged it with a new weld. But I'd like to try a longer term solution. I rather like the MNR way of doing it and may try that myself, but it works so much better with their much bigger front wings!

Well done David, and good of you to provide the plans to everyone.

Cheers,
James

Stuart_B - 29/6/09 at 06:20 PM

nice way of fixing the promblem david.

stuart

eccsmk - 29/6/09 at 08:57 PM

i like the idea but being a bit thick
i still dont understand how it rotates in the centre
can someone spell it out nice and simple for stupid little me please

David Jenkins - 29/6/09 at 09:16 PM

The centre doesn't rotate - it's fastened to the end of the stub axle, which is fixed to the upright. The wheel spins on its bearing, which rides on the stub axle.

eccsmk - 29/6/09 at 10:00 PM

DOH! i get it now
for some reason i was trying to work out how it turned but obviously it doesn't

stupid boy!