Board logo

Cutting Holes in GRP side Panels
big-vee-twin - 2/1/10 at 03:07 PM

I am planning soon to start cutting my side panels to allow the front wishbones etc. to come through.

Before I mess them up any tips that may help me avoid ruining them!

big_wasa - 2/1/10 at 03:41 PM

measure twice and cut once

AndyW - 2/1/10 at 03:42 PM

measure three times, cut once, and use masking tape so you can mark where holes etc are going to be before cutting...

Project7 - 2/1/10 at 03:52 PM

If you plan to use tank cutters/holesaws run the drill in reverse, it takes a bit longer but doesnt snatch and chip the gel coat.

[Edited on 2/1/10 by Project7]

Richard Quinn - 2/1/10 at 03:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Project7
If you plan to use tank cutters run the drill in reverse, it takes a bit longer but doesnt snatch and chip the gel coat.
Or get some decent hole saws and run the drill quite slowly until through the gel

Project7 - 2/1/10 at 03:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
quote:
Originally posted by Project7
If you plan to use tank cutters run the drill in reverse, it takes a bit longer but doesnt snatch and chip the gel coat.
Or get some decent hole saws and run the drill quite slowly until through the gel

Sorry richard I editted the post just after you quoted me. I meant holesaws.

bodger - 2/1/10 at 04:55 PM

A Black & Decker power file is good for GRP - sometimes a bit too good, be careful with it.

austin man - 2/1/10 at 05:44 PM

a dremmel is also a good tool for the more inticrate shapes

rf900rush - 2/1/10 at 06:06 PM

I also found ceramic tile cutting jigsaw blades work well for large holes and straightish cuts.
And don't forget the masking tape to protect from scatches.

norfolkluego - 2/1/10 at 06:23 PM

Wear a mask, serious amounts of dust (there again I did use an angle grinder when cutting the hole for my carbs, mans tool, it's pretty quick too!)

Yorkie - 2/1/10 at 10:24 PM

As above, measure twice and cut once.

Take care when trial fitting the GTS side panels as they are a tight fit over the chassis rails.