Board logo

Windscreen options
MrFozzieBear - 7/1/10 at 02:52 PM

Hi all,

I guess its been asked before but i'm having no luck finding anything on them,

I will soon have to buy a full windscreen for my Haynes so I can make my own scuttle and have a good fit but I’m just wondering what all the options available are? I know of Westfield and Caterham screens but are there any others out there?

Thanks.

mangogrooveworkshop - 7/1/10 at 04:07 PM

I could make you a custom one

Danozeman - 7/1/10 at 04:10 PM

kitpartsdirect.co.uk

The robin hood zero one.

Steve G - 7/1/10 at 04:16 PM

Buy a frame. Get that fitted. Make a wooden mock-up screen to suit, and then use that as a template to get a laminated screen cut by a windscreen company from a flat sheet.

Dont forget many carriers wont take glass so local is best.

Danozeman - 7/1/10 at 04:46 PM

quote:

Dont forget many carriers wont take glass so local is best.

They will if they dont know. Im sure thats how lolocost etc get away with it.

If your fitting it for iva then you will need a marked glass so getting one cut wont be an option for that. Most fit after iva.

David Jenkins - 7/1/10 at 04:51 PM

On my first attempt I made a frame then decided that it was no good once I'd thought about uprights...

On the second attempt I fitted the uprights then made a template to fit them nicely. The template was then sent to Mango (see his posting above). He can supply the frame and uprights, all at a good price. Once you've got the frame all you have to do is get a local *auto glass* supplier to fit some 6mm glass into it (not any old glass) - for enough money they'll make sure that the approval mark is visible in the glass, to keep the IVA man happy.

Wish I'd done that the first time round...

macspeedy - 7/1/10 at 08:04 PM

carriers will take glass but it wont be covered by the insurance.. so package it well.

Twine and cardboard will not do

[Edited on 7/1/10 by macspeedy]

MrFozzieBear - 7/1/10 at 08:07 PM

Thats great thanks everyone

RK - 7/1/10 at 09:15 PM

make sure it will fit the haynes, which is wider than the standard book frame and the s3 caterham.