Board logo

spare tire carrier - how secure is it?
usdew - 6/5/04 at 12:43 PM

Has anyone made the spare tire carrier as per the book?

I wonder how well it holds the spare. Do you wedge the tire between the bars, and hope that friction holds it? It has got to pop out when your stiffly sprung car goes over a bump. Has anyone come up with a better design?

ned - 6/5/04 at 01:18 PM

hicost carries a spare on the back of his car, he uses a pair or rails that slide out to release the spare iirc, surrey dave has a spare, bolted to a bracket on the back of his car.

Ned.

wicket - 6/5/04 at 01:33 PM

Don't carry a spare, take a can of instant tyre repair. IMHO the car looks nicer without the wheel hanging on the back.

timf - 6/5/04 at 01:47 PM

dont forget if you go for an sva with a spare mounted it becomes fair game for the radius mushroom etc as is the mounting frame

SparkyPups - 6/5/04 at 02:12 PM

Dont carry tyre weld - garages wont do a repair and some even refuse to put a new tyre on - carry a motorcycle puncture repair kit

Peteff - 6/5/04 at 03:22 PM

Phone the AA and send him off to get it fixed. He's a very nice man.

stephen_gusterson - 6/5/04 at 03:36 PM

depends on the car. The rear can be a flat boring expanse of metal , and the tyre adds some 'detail'.

There are companie son the net that can do neat covers with your own words and graphics to brighten it up.

atb

steve

DaveFJ - 6/5/04 at 04:04 PM

I have been considering this issue recently,

does anyone know of a 'space saver' spare that would fit on a standard ford pcd?

I thought of maybe enclosing it in a GRP cover on the back. I have seen similar covers on other kit cars - usually morgan types. - would that be difficult to make? or maybe I could adapt one from another car ?

ned - 6/5/04 at 04:05 PM

my girlfriend's dad has a wheel cover for his discovery with the tasmanian devil on it and the words: 'back off' which I think is quite good!

Ned.

flak monkey - 6/5/04 at 04:07 PM

You mean the thin type wheels used on cars now as spares??....if so ford put them in the Focus, (even the Ghia doesnt have a proper spare now!) and they are probably in many other newer Ford models.... take a trip to the ford garage and see what they say...

Cheers
David

Mark Allanson - 6/5/04 at 07:05 PM

SSS wheels are something I had not thought of, I can get them for free!

I was thinking of the spare carrier for the back, but for additional luggage, formula4x4 do them in primer for about £50.

In the early stages, I welded in 4 rear panel supports, the centre 2 are 108mm apart

DaveFJ - 6/5/04 at 07:45 PM

But can you get one that fits a ford pcd for free? ((he asked knowing he would be travelling to cornwall in June ))

Mark Allanson - 6/5/04 at 08:03 PM

It all depends on the carelessness of late ford owning cornishmen!!