Board logo

sikalfex?
AndyW - 18/5/10 at 04:12 PM

I am fitting the ali side panels and dont want the old war ship look of rivets on the outside, so can I rivet top and bottom so they are concealed and sikalfex the rest? If so what type of sikalfex should I get?

Ta

Andy

sucksqueezebangblow - 18/5/10 at 04:20 PM

You need Sikaflex 221

Spec Sheet Linky

[Edited on 18/5/10 by sucksqueezebangblow]

Lars - 18/5/10 at 04:42 PM

i rivetted underneath and on the inside of the top rails, no sikaflex needed.

But yes 221 is the stuff, and it is superb.

Even the girlfriend knows if something is loose anywhere (house/car/etc) it needs to be "sikaflexed"

balidey - 18/5/10 at 05:04 PM

And works even better when its used with the correct primer. We use it as a structural adhesive and you would not believe the difference when used with and without the proper primer.

johnH20 - 18/5/10 at 05:16 PM

I have not heard of the primer before, is that a Sikaflex product? As an aside how do people rate the CBS branded PU compared to Sikaflex, I must admit I cannot tell the difference.

BenB - 18/5/10 at 05:23 PM

You can just sikaflex them on but you get better rigidity allegidly if you rivet them on. this is supposed to be on the basis that rivetted + sikaflexed is better than just sikaflexed. OF course what that doesn't take into account is the fact that rivetting involves drilling lots of little holes into the chassis which might not do much for torsional rigidity....

balidey - 18/5/10 at 06:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by johnH20
I have not heard of the primer before, is that a Sikaflex product? As an aside how do people rate the CBS branded PU compared to Sikaflex, I must admit I cannot tell the difference.

We use (I think) Sika 210 primer when using alloy panels. And we did try using Kommerling adhesive with quite poor results. But this was in a high load application. I am sure the CBS product is perfectly fine for side panels

Breaker - 18/5/10 at 06:12 PM

Anyone already used Pattex Power Fix ? It has similar specs (even higher tensile strength) as the Sikaflex 221, but I don't know it is sold in UK.

plentywahalla - 18/5/10 at 07:19 PM

Sikaflex 292 is the high modulus adhesive we use for sticking keels on boats. Use the proper primers, expensive stuff 210 but worth it.

:{THC}:YosamiteSam - 20/5/10 at 10:47 AM

sikaflex 221 by itself will be way way way strong enough if put on correctly.

you must make sure the bits sticking are not painted if poss.. the paint will come away first.

if sticking fibreglass use a wire wheel in a drill to clean back the surfaces - that works wonders by itself.. wipe down with spirit wipe or similar.. stick - fix with gaffer tape overnight to hold then leave 24 hours - rock solid.. with flex a bit if thicker applied