Board logo

Cycle Wings and Stays
Nash - 13/6/10 at 11:01 PM

Evening all.

Out on a blat yesterday and both my front cycle wing stays snapped in similar places.

I know its a common problem but in my case a contributing factor is the weight oft he cycle wings (two flat plates glassed in to bolt the wing to the stay (clean but very heavy and has caused catastrophic failure of the stays.

So where can I get good cheap wings and stays that have a good rep for lasting?

All help as ever greatly received.

...........Neil

[Edited on 14/6/10 by Nash]

DavidM - 13/6/10 at 11:41 PM

Ass help? I thought it was your wing stays?

A1 - 14/6/10 at 01:17 AM

though ive heard stories of them failing at the weld where the flat bar meets the round bar, my mk ones have lasted well until now...

JeffHs - 14/6/10 at 11:05 AM

My Locost has clamshells but the 2CV special has metal cycle wings (trailer) and book style stays. They used to break regularly, always next to the weld in the heat-affected-zone.
I changed the stays to bent square tube with no welds and no further failures. I used 12.5 mm square 16 gauge box - bugger to bend but worth it in the end

smart51 - 19/7/10 at 02:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JeffHs
My Locost has clamshells but the 2CV special has metal cycle wings (trailer) and book style stays. They used to break regularly, always next to the weld in the heat-affected-zone.
I changed the stays to bent square tube with no welds and no further failures. I used 12.5 mm square 16 gauge box - bugger to bend but worth it in the end

Have you got a pic?