Board logo

Vinyl wrap or paint
johnH20 - 9/10/10 at 01:30 PM

I have come across some impressive vinyl wrap jobs recently but on production cars that obviously have a paint finish underneath. However it has set me thinking that vinyl might be an option that is less labour intensive and hence cheaper than a conventional body spray job involving multiple coats and lots of rubbing down. I imagine the same level of surface prep would be required to achieve a satisfactory finish though.
Anyone with practical experience of doing this. What are the pros and cons? Would it really be cheaper? ( I am expecting a paint job including body prep to be £2k + )

brookie - 9/10/10 at 04:53 PM

i just got a few quotes for my nosecone and bonnet (mk indy)in lime green and they are comming back at around £500 and they want £350 for the back arches

Bitten hero - 9/10/10 at 05:09 PM

i had some quotes for my furore f1 complete car was approx 1200 quid. with the, scheme i am after, was bloody good.

loggyboy - 9/10/10 at 07:29 PM

Ive seen full car body wraps advertised for about £800, for a seven which generally has simpler lines and less surface area, I would expect that to be closer to £500. Plus the bonus with vinyl is you can chouse a base colour gel coat and then if you get bored of it, its easy to peel off, then start again. Not somthing I'd want to attempt as a home job.

interestedparty - 9/10/10 at 07:35 PM

With the full body stuff, they have CAD databases which have slihouettes of all production cars and vans, so it would certainly be easier for them to work out a scheme, print it and cut the material, so that might explain the lower price

brookie - 10/10/10 at 03:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Ive seen full car body wraps advertised for about £800, for a seven which generally has simpler lines and less surface area, I would expect that to be closer to £500. Plus the bonus with vinyl is you can chouse a base colour gel coat and then if you get bored of it, its easy to peel off, then start again. Not somthing I'd want to attempt as a home job.

i wish, like i said bonnet nose cone and back arches total £850

Ivan - 10/10/10 at 04:54 PM

Blimey - things are expensive in England - was quoted less than £350 to wrap my whole Cobra in Satin black with Copper stripes using the best imported Vinyl.

interestedparty - 10/10/10 at 07:32 PM

Anyone know what the raw material costs, thinking about a diy job here?

interestedparty - 10/10/10 at 09:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by interestedparty
Anyone know what the raw material costs, thinking about a diy job here?

Quick look on ebay suggests less then £10 a metre for what claims to be professional quality material

I wonder how easy/difficult it is to apply, anyone know?

Dangle_kt - 10/10/10 at 10:22 PM

It's pretty straightforward. I wrapped a bike as a complete novice. Went pretty well and 100% better than the horrible paint job it had.

Curves are the big problem, and some edges can be tough.

You can apply it wet which is easy, but I found led to the edges not sealing 100% or dry, but if you get it wrong your stuffed.

Heat gun, silicon squeegee and lots of time and you will be fine. On big panels I'd guess having a mate round would help

loggyboy - 10/10/10 at 10:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by brookie
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy

i wish, like i said bonnet nose cone and back arches total £850

These are the peeps I saw - ok theres VAT, but a cash job on a few panels must be fairly reasonable.

http://printempire.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=72&products_id=172&zenid=dsll3u9l0i3vo0kuec0ud6jel4

[Edited on 10/10/10 by loggyboy]