Board logo

windscreen brackets !
nick-york - 13/12/10 at 08:39 PM

hi ! just need a bit of advice please. i am going to fit a windscreen later on but not sure where and how the brackets fit to the locost. I have a fibreglass scuttle . The only support for this is a small tube that goes across the chassis on which the steering column is mounted .I think i will have to make some kind of frame to support the scuttle that is strong enough to fix the windscreen brackets to as well.has anybody got any iva friendly ideas ? cheers - nick cheers everyone ! i think im gonna get the heater and wiper setup and work out exactly where they are going to fit in the scuttle so i leave room for them when the wiring etc goes in. and then as you say fit it all when its passed iva

[Edited on 13/12/10 by nick-york]

jacko - 13/12/10 at 08:46 PM

Yes leave the windscreen off till after the test
And welcome to the mad house
Jacko
ps please put your location is the margin

nick205 - 13/12/10 at 09:19 PM

Provided the scuttle is well attached to the chasis then simply bolt the brackets to the sides of the scuttle and use penny washers or maybe a strip of metal to spread the load inside the scuttle. The force of air against the screen will be pushing against the brackets and scuttle in the right plane so to speak and will not break the scuttle.

As per Jacko's advice, leave the screen, wipers and de-mister fitting for post IVA fitting to avoid an uneccessary hassle.

stevegough - 13/12/10 at 09:58 PM

Of course, you could ignore the advice of others and fit one before IVA. This is mine just over a week ago outside the test centre.

December 2nd 07:30hrs
December 2nd 07:30hrs

stevegough - 13/12/10 at 10:05 PM

But to get to that stage with a screen - there is plenty of work to do....

Wipers - modified to sit at the right angle....

Description
Description

The screen fitted first, of course....

Description
Description

The heater and demister....

heater componets
heater componets

And, for IVA regs - you aren't allowed to draw air in from under the bonnet - this was my solution....

Not permitted to draw engine bay air into demister
Not permitted to draw engine bay air into demister

nick-york - 13/12/10 at 10:20 PM

Thanks for the pics steve . they are really helpfull.and your build looks fantastic !

stevegough - 13/12/10 at 10:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nick-york
Thanks for the pics steve . they are really helpfull.and your build looks fantastic !

Gee!, thanks Nick - now ignore those doubters and get your windscreen on! If you can build a car up to test standard, you can do it with a screen!

snapper - 14/12/10 at 07:09 AM

I would not recomend bolting the screen to fibreglass, the forces at speed are high and getting in/out of a seven, you or your passenger will at some time grab the top of the screen and pull themselves out, I guarantee it.

David Jenkins - 14/12/10 at 09:01 AM

If you decide to fit the screen after the IVA, fit it before, while everything is accessible and remove it before the test.

The effort in fitting wipers, washers, demisters and all that stuff is a total PITA once the car is finished (guess how I know). If you make an effort once the screen & stuff is removed (plug holes neatly with grommets, etc) then the tester should be happy. He won't be happy if the scuttle is full of holes and it's obvious that you've just removed the bits for the test!

BenB - 14/12/10 at 11:58 AM

The sides of the STM scuttle where quite lightweight (you could wobble the scuttle mounted mirror quite a lot) so I re-inforced the area near the mirror and windscreen mounting points with some GRP woven matt and some carbon tows (in a grid pattern) epoxied in place. Stiffened things up nicely.
I also had to stiffen up the place where the wiper rocker boxes attached because it was flexing.

But personally I'd just fit it all and see what wobbles and take remedial action

nick-york - 14/12/10 at 06:01 PM

Thanks everyone .problem solved.