Board logo

air intake - advice - ideas needed
:{THC}:YosamiteSam - 28/12/10 at 07:04 PM

westy megabusa

just got the air box i bought from one of the guys on here fitted and just clearing the engine cover, now i need a air intake oval/ rectangular air intake tract to the top of the air box.. cant decide if it will be a right faff on making a fibreglass one or making an ally one - if in ally i would like it welding up properly tho.. not lots of rivets in it to come loose.. (the center pin of the rivets can fall out and into the engine - not advisable)

i havnt much room to play with only bout 2-3 inches or so.. ideas?

the westy has a grilled intake built into the 'V8 engine cover' its a bike engine but called that. so that would make sense to use it

matt_gsxr - 28/12/10 at 07:39 PM

where is your air filter going in this set-up?

:{THC}:YosamiteSam - 28/12/10 at 07:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
where is your air filter going in this set-up?

in the oem bike airbox.. the air supply to the center of the filter.. theres a bolt down plate to accept the air intake by drilling an appropriate hole using a GSXR 750 box

cosmick - 28/12/10 at 08:56 PM

Have a look at my pics in my photo archive. The ducting was made from fibreglass sheet and just cut to shape using cardboard as a template. the whole lot was glued together with a hot glue gun and when satisfied with the shape, i used sikaflex to bond it permanently. It's been fitted for 2 years now and still very strong.
No induction noise and more horsepower.

cosmick

sorens2 - 28/12/10 at 09:27 PM

Dont know if it is any ude.

Soren S2

:{THC}:YosamiteSam - 28/12/10 at 09:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by cosmick
Have a look at my pics in my photo archive. The ducting was made from fibreglass sheet and just cut to shape using cardboard as a template. the whole lot was glued together with a hot glue gun and when satisfied with the shape, i used sikaflex to bond it permanently. It's been fitted for 2 years now and still very strong.

cosmick

aye - i have those mick - just bantering ideas around to whether its feasible to have the ducting seperate from the engine cover - on the engine. maybe - i have the materials to do it the way you have but crikey is it hard to line it up - canna see a darn thing! - will suss it tho - just gotta get out of crimbo mode and into workshop mode...

:{THC}:YosamiteSam - 28/12/10 at 09:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sorens2
Dont know if it is any ude.

Soren S2

thats a beefy air intake - havnt really got the luxury of that much space.. thanks tho.. ps wheres the filter?

:{THC}:YosamiteSam - 28/12/10 at 09:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by cosmick

cosmick

i did have probs getting that box under the engine cover mick it was fouling even with turnng the trumpets round - bugger - i had to chop some more off it - made an ally section to fill it in - once iv finalised the ducts ill glue it all up in one go - last time i used sikaflex i only used a bit thought it would keep in the tube a bit longer - couldnt get it out so was wasted. best to do as much as you can while its open.

cosmick - 28/12/10 at 10:24 PM

Take the nose cone off and work from the front. First glue a piece of card to the airbox opening to get the angle up to the bonnet. Then make a V at the other end to close the ducting. then place a flat sheet across the front of the bonnet and finally box it in. It took me about 4 hours to make and it works brilliantly. Your airbox will be a less acute angle than mine but the principle is the same.
I don't understand why you had to cut some more off the top of the filter, I had that very box under my bonnet. I think your engine might be higher in the chassis than mine.
Send me some pics when its done.

cosmick

[Edited on 28/12/10 by cosmick]

sorens2 - 28/12/10 at 10:26 PM

The filter is inside the hose as a cone.
Good for over 200 bhp.

Soren S2