Board logo

Anyone know where I can get bonnet hinges like these?
interestedparty - 25/1/11 at 10:10 AM

Or something that would work in the same way

scootz - 25/1/11 at 10:18 AM

I think I may have some Ultima Spyder door hinges that work in a similar fashion.

I'll try and dig them out later.

stevebubs - 25/1/11 at 10:22 AM

Fury hinges are similar-ish, also

scootz - 25/1/11 at 10:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs

LOL... I just read that as FURRY HINGES!

Don't quite know why it made me LOL (but it did).

mcerd1 - 25/1/11 at 10:29 AM

most of the cobra replicas use one like that on the boot: linky

not sure where you'd get the best / cheapest ones though....

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:

LOL... I just read that as FURRY HINGES!

Don't quite know why it made me LOL (but it did).

have you been on the funny pills today ?

[Edited on 25/1/2011 by mcerd1]

scootz - 25/1/11 at 10:31 AM

Unfortunately I have to take 60mg of funny pills every day Robert!

interestedparty - 25/1/11 at 10:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
most of the cobra replicas use one like that on the boot: linky

Those look like they might do it, thanks, although there seems to be some bits missing. Plus I think it's funny when websites have a 'click to enlarge' feature and the new picture isn't any bigger. Not sure why they would do it as a kit, can't think of anyother way you would want to put them together. I'll give them a ring if nothing ready to use turns up.

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
I think I may have some Ultima Spyder door hinges that work in a similar fashion.

I'll try and dig them out later.

Thanks for that, but I might need a few pairs, and they would need to be all the same.

Miks15 - 25/1/11 at 10:47 AM

Why not make some?

Then you can get them exact size you want them

Just get some plates water cut or similar and weld together, then bolt one half of hinge to the other

interestedparty - 25/1/11 at 10:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Miks15
Why not make some?

Then you can get them exact size you want them

Just get some plates water cut or similar and weld together, then bolt one half of hinge to the other

It's a good point, the answer is that to make them strong enough they would need to be quite thick, whereas I think the ready-made ones have stamped raised edges, thus getting the same rigidity from thinner material. Other problem is the pivots, how would I do that, and the third problem is I don't know how many I will need yet, so being able to buy them as I need them would be handy.

stevebubs - 25/1/11 at 11:36 AM

fury door hinges will probably be far too heavy weight for this (they're not light)

However, do a search on "bonnet hinge" on ebay and you may find something suitable from a regular tintop..

interestedparty - 25/1/11 at 11:51 AM

quote:

However, do a search on "bonnet hinge" on ebay and you may find something suitable from a regular tintop..

I did think of that (and google) woudn't want you to think I wouldn't look for myself, but, basically, no there isn't. There's a couple that are not far away, but they tend to be for obscure cars that someone just happens to have lying around, but I need something that I can buy as and when, and know I can get more if I need to eventually.

scootz - 25/1/11 at 11:57 AM

Just for info.

One of the Spyder hinges...

owelly - 25/1/11 at 12:35 PM

Have a look around on the RS site.
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=retrieveTfg&Nty=1&Ntx=mode%2bmatchallpartial&Ntk=I18NAll&Ns=stockPol icy_uk%7c1%7c%7cnew_uk%7c1&Ne=4294922322&Nr=AND%28avl%3auk%2csearchDiscon_uk%3aN%29&N=4294955559+4294921622&binCount=250&Ntt=hinge s&multiselectParam=4294955559&selectSubRange=Cabinet & Concealed#breadCrumb

I have seen similar hinges to the ones you describe fitted to steel enclosures but I don't have the time atm to go searching!!

Dale - 25/1/11 at 02:10 PM

mgb trunk hinges are very similar