Board logo

Plasti Dip
mookaloid - 1/2/12 at 10:18 PM

Plasti dip - I thought it was just for the handles on pliers

Dipped MG

rdodger - 1/2/12 at 10:35 PM

Shame it's so expensive or it would be good for the underside of my grp bodywork.

MakeEverything - 1/2/12 at 11:16 PM

What are the advantages? Never heard of it before!

RK - 2/2/12 at 12:01 AM

For one, you can peel it off anytime you might change your mind.

Autosri - 2/2/12 at 12:55 AM

briliant stuff i have painted my wheels on my tintop and its lasted a year without pealing off at all and its dead easy to spray almost impossible to mess up

afj - 2/2/12 at 09:07 AM

thumbs up from me did my chrome CXR centre caps in it can peel it off when i want, you can also buy tins of it. I dipped my r/c rock crawler servos and reciever in it , now they are water proof tested so deep you could not see the car

chrisxr2 - 2/2/12 at 10:32 AM

I am liking that a lot, seems really easy as well.

loggyboy - 2/2/12 at 10:56 AM

Might do my Clio in that....

40inches - 7/2/12 at 08:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rdodger
Shame it's so expensive or it would be good for the underside of my grp bodywork.

According to the guy who did the MG, it cost around £150 for the whole car. He got the cans directly from Plasti Dip. Linky

ceebmoj - 19/4/12 at 11:05 AM

hi,

I have one wheel done on my car to see how it lasts with out primmer.

I have also done the roll bar in primmer and dip because I found the previous coating was getting chipped. So I will let you know how it lasts. My current plan is if it wheres well to do the other exposed metal work.

theduck - 19/4/12 at 12:12 PM

This is a TEMPORARY covering, it wont wear well, but what it does do is allow you to make temporary changes or add protective coverings.

ceebmoj - 19/4/12 at 12:32 PM

The wheel has been done for 6 weeks / 1500 miles and is holding up much better than expected.

I'm hoping that with the dip primmer the roll bar will last better as before after a couple of hundrad miles it had a lot of gravel rash.

[Edited on 19/4/12 by ceebmoj]

Peteff - 19/4/12 at 12:41 PM

I had to watch a video of it being peeled off as well, it looks like fun stuff.

D Beddows - 19/4/12 at 01:02 PM

I've decided I'm actually going to 'respray' my MX5 with this stuff, I have a cheapo HVLP spray pod thingy (£30 - the internet seems to suggest that something this rubbish will actually do for this particular job.....we shall see....) £34 for 2.5 litres of Plasti Dip and £15 for a can of thinners. The car doesn't do that many miles so out and out durability isn't all that important (nor is a flash paint job as far as I'm concerned rather obviously!) and it seems to be fairly foolproof...... again we shall see.... lol

The beauty of it though is that if it does go horribly wrong it all just peels off and I'm down a mere £50ish rather than stuck with a car with a comedy paint job! - mind you the paintwork is so bad at the moment that pretty much anything would be an improvement!!

I'll keep you informed