Board logo

Balls balls balls balls balls
pekwah1 - 20/10/12 at 08:42 PM

Well i've gone and bloody done it again!!!

Was getting all pleased with myself getting close to the end of the build, and have just realised that where i've fitted my fog light is around 20mm away from my stop and tail light, anyone with IVA knowledge will know that this is supposed to be at least 100mm!!!!

Crap!

Now the decision on whether it is recoverable or if i just buy a whole new rear clam for the car instead.

What a crock!

steve m - 20/10/12 at 09:00 PM

Andy, if i was taller i would slap you in the face, for being a TWIT

GOJO - 20/10/12 at 09:04 PM

Mount a universal one on a bracket from the chassis and cover the hole from where the fog is now with a large reflector on sticky pad , remember radius 3mm plate or normal bracket a u trim and radius on reflector, then do as most after iva and put it all how you want it

pekwah1 - 20/10/12 at 09:12 PM

it's ok steve i'll get you a ladder!

And thanks for the suggestion gojo, could be nice and simple!
Out of interest, if i went to the IVA with two fog lights fitted but only one wired up, would they be unhappy about this?

steve m - 20/10/12 at 09:26 PM

Andy,

you can borrow mine, but i will need it back for MOT in oct 2013
bottom right in pic

steve

pekwah1 - 20/10/12 at 09:30 PM

Thanks steve, i hope you're not trying to imply my car won't be ready by then.....?

big-vee-twin - 20/10/12 at 09:33 PM

Can you not use it as a reversing light

steve m - 20/10/12 at 09:33 PM

Hahahaha, not at all m8

Just want to see you on the road, and soon!

pekwah1 - 20/10/12 at 09:45 PM

Yeh steve, i want to be on the road too!!
Really not far off, well doesn't feel it anyway, apart from crap like this happening anyway!

Not a bad suggestion big-vee-twin, think i'll get another reverse lamp and do that and use a bracket-ed fog light at the bottom instead!

I'll post a pic of my cock-up tomorrow so you can all have a good giggle!

big-vee-twin - 20/10/12 at 10:01 PM

Guess what - did the same thing!!

pekwah1 - 20/10/12 at 10:14 PM

makes me feel a bit better i guess!

ashg - 20/10/12 at 11:00 PM

turn the fog into another reverse lamp. fit a bolt on fog for iva then revert after the test

BobM - 21/10/12 at 05:39 AM

quote:
Out of interest, if i went to the IVA with two fog lights fitted but only one wired up, would they be unhappy about this?

Yes, any lights on the rear of the car must be functioning.

loggyboy - 21/10/12 at 06:38 AM

Post a pic...?

GOJO - 21/10/12 at 01:14 PM

In anwser the other fog must be removed, thats why i say use a reflector to cover holes as they can fail it if they expect it to be reverted also the holes may fail on radius, i had to do the bracket thing for mine for iva as both my lights are mounted in the arch, outer side brake indicator and inner fog o/s inner n/s reverse all led so fog too close to side light joke?

matt_claydon - 21/10/12 at 01:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by GOJO
In anwser the other fog must be removed, thats why i say use a reflector to cover holes as they can fail it if they expect it to be reverted also the holes may fail on radius, i had to do the bracket thing for mine for iva as both my lights are mounted in the arch, outer side brake indicator and inner fog o/s inner n/s reverse all led so fog too close to side light joke?

With fog that close to brake, no one will see your brake lights when you have the fogs on and you'll get a tin-top or worse straight into your fuel tank. It's a sensible requirement and I would not suggest it's a good idea to fudge it for IVA and then change back afterwards. I would say best plan for the OP is to fit two reverse lamps or reflectors symmetrically, one of which will cover the hole, and fit a single fog in the centre of the car.

pekwah1 - 26/10/12 at 06:47 PM

Well finally took some photos...

Before sorting the cock up:

And after:

I will be adding an LED fog at the bottom!

blakep82 - 26/10/12 at 07:18 PM

get one of these, 135FME
http://ledautolamps-uk.com/productshow.php?catid=4&productid=23

and hang it under the back panel, as long as the height is ok. i got some of those 90 degree angle brackets out of homebase and fitted with those. i've not got a picture that shows it though

pekwah1 - 26/10/12 at 07:20 PM

That's exactly what i've got sat in the garage!
I'm going to fit it properly into the bodywork though....

AdrianH - 26/10/12 at 07:29 PM

If it does not have the correct markings then find another, quick look at the picture does not show any

12. All rear fog lamps must display an “e” or “E” mark with a “B” or “F” (see note 2).

I will download latest version in case of change.

Adrian

INDY BIRD - 26/10/12 at 07:44 PM

Pic of mine with fog in centre I think looks ok on the striker

striker rear slicks
striker rear slicks

pekwah1 - 26/10/12 at 08:09 PM

it definitely has an E mark, not too sure about the F, i'll need to check!

big-vee-twin - 27/10/12 at 08:37 AM

Looks like you have got is sorted, looks good- much better than buying a new rear panel

matt_claydon - 27/10/12 at 09:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by pekwah1

More likely to be a 'B', which is also OK.

blakep82 - 27/10/12 at 09:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by pekwah1

if its the same as the one i posted, its definitely got all the right markings

Peteff - 27/10/12 at 09:30 AM

Make sure it is high enough from the floor as well, I had to make a bracket to raise mine till SVA then move it after.

[Edited on 27/10/12 by Peteff]

steve m - 27/10/12 at 10:15 AM

Andy,

I know you are VERY tall, but your fuel filler extension is taking the piss, as i would never reach it !

Steve

pekwah1 - 27/10/12 at 10:53 AM

lol i was waiting for a comment about that steve!
Hadn't quite cut it down at that point, although i kinda like it, might keep it like that!